Error - "The data area passed to a system call is too small"

Support for Windows users
Yogy

Error - "The data area passed to a system call is too small"

Post by Yogy »

Having been a satisfied user of the non windows store version, I decided to purchase the Windows Store version to give support to the project, not thinking that I would need support quite so soon.

The Story:

Uninstalled old version
Purchased new Windows Store version
Installed
Attempt to run and receive error as in subject
Rebooted machine
Uninstalled WS Version
Rebooted machine
Installed WS Version

Not seeing any valid suggestions via many searches so hoping someone here may have seen and conquered this problem.

Any suggestions welcome
rednoah
The Source

Re: Error - "The data area passed to a system call is too small"

Post by rednoah »

Please post a screenshot of the error message so I can forward the issue to Microsoft.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks! I'll ask the Microsoft folks if they have any ideas on this one.

I've added a report in the MSDN forums:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... =wpdevelop
richmich

Post by richmich »

I'm getting this same error. Purchased it today, installed and tried to open it and get this error. Haven't even been able to use it. Any update on the fix? I also removed it, rebooted reinstalled etc.
Yogy

Post by Yogy »

Still have the same error as well despite numerous updates.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately there is no known solution for this particular issue. What version of Windows are you using? Are you using the latest Fall Creators Update?
richmich

Post by richmich »

Using windows 10.
Since there isn't a fix for this issue, how do I go about getting a refund?
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

@rednoah
maybe you can reproduce the error with this ?
https://superuser.com/questions/1239486 ... s-store-ap

If you copy files from the "store path" can you then run it ?
https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-w ... indows-10/
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Refunds are handled by Microsoft support. But how to contact them depends on your region. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't make refunds easy.

I can only offer the legacy version of FileBot which won't have this issue, but also isn't maintained via the Store:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/filebo ... .9_x64.msi

I'd highly discourage anyone from messing with the default Windows permissions. They're there for a reason, and you will break things in unexpected ways, because the executables expect to be called within a UWP sandbox.
richmich

Post by richmich »

Okay, I'll try the legacy version and see if that works. If so, I'll leave let the refund be. Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Keep me posted. The 4.7.9 should still work for almost anything you can throw at it. If you have any issues, I'll see if I can make a compatibility release with the newer code base available to you.
allineedis

Post by allineedis »

Hi, I am getting the same error message. When searching for the error message it looks like filebot is not the only one, but no fix as what I can see. Using 4.7.9 as per this thread now... any news from MS to filebot?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Is it possible for you to try this on a second pristine install of Windows just to make sure that it works for your Microsoft account?

Things like Updating Windows, Uninstalling FileBot, Rebooting, Installing FileBot seem to help for some users, but I'm not sure if there's a definite solution.
garryjoshi

Post by garryjoshi »

I brought it today and facing this very same error :( I am using Win 10. Have you been able to figure out any fix rednoah?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, no. Do you have a second PC where you can try this?

AFAIK this issue can be solved by factory resetting your Windows machine, but this is probably not an option for most people. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what customization / anti-virus / system software / etc interferes with the Windows Store because I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself.
shades6057

Post by shades6057 »

It's sad to say, but I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. I've been searching the web for awhile, and can only find things related to jpeg reading, and old versions of windows.

I'm having the same issue with filebot (just purchased about 2 or 3 days ago). Running Insider Preview version (slow track) of windows. Only thing I haven't done is refresh my computer (unfortunately, I can't roll back, too long since last stable release). That said, filebot is NOT the only one I have issues with. I've had similar with several other windows store apps as well, latest being (other than filebot) Norton Studio.

If you guys find a solution, please post back here and let it be known, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also curious if anyone having this issue also is having problems with Nvidia GeForce Experience 3.x? Around the same time my GeForce Experience Crapped out, is when I started seeing these errors with some Windows store apps. I spent good part of a week back and forth with Nvidia, with, ultimately, the result being, "The Engineers were able to duplicate the issue, however they have no solution at this time, we will notify you when a solution becomes available". This was over 2 months ago, and yes I follow up about once a month, and get the same response.

If I can help with trying anything let me know (other than refreshing or clean install on my pc, I have some licenses, such as Office, and others that I no longer have product keys for, and don't want to repurchase because I'm troubleshooting something).

PS, The sourceforge link to the non-windows app version of Filebot works great. In case you were still wondering.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, I can confirm that this is an issue with the Microsoft Store and not FileBot, with Microsoft code failing before any of the FileBot code is run, so there's not much I can do on the FileBot side.

It's very interesting that you mention hardware changes. There is a thread were a user reports that Microsoft Store apps stopped working after changing the motherboard. In this particular case, logging your user in and out of the Microsoft Store (and thus probably updated access credentials and licensing information) did the trick as far as I remember.
shades6057

Post by shades6057 »

Thanks for the heads up on the log out/log in to Microsoft store, unfortunately, no luck on this. I'll check in every week or so to see if anything new is posted to try, or, if I finally get it figured out. My next actual hope (other than someone figuring it out for me) is that, once a stable release finally comes out again that I can jump off the preview run, I'll be able to try it, and possibly do a repair at that point without losing all my software I no longer have product keys for. Once again though, I'm glad the platform version is available, because it works like a champ.
BitGid

Post by BitGid »

rednoah wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 19:14 Is it possible for you to try this on a second pristine install of Windows just to make sure that it works for your Microsoft account?

Things like Updating Windows, Uninstalling FileBot, Rebooting, Installing FileBot seem to help for some users, but I'm not sure if there's a definite solution.
Hi !
I got the same issue after installing from Windows Store yesterday, tried restart Windows several times and followed all steps but it still does not work
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Do you mean that you have Factory Reset your Windows machine an that it still doesn't work?

Restarting Windows probably won't make a difference. Updating to the latest version might make a difference. Logging in and out of the Store might make a difference. But the only bullet-proof solution is usually just Factory Reset because figuring out specifically what's wrong with any given Windows machine is near impossible.
xmaehn

Post by xmaehn »

Hello!
I downloaded the program from Windowsstore 2 days ago and I have the same problem. Are there already bugfixes because of the error or can someone help me to solve the problem. I do not want to reset the pc completely. Kind regards
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

AFAIK many different reasons (Windows being screwed up internally one way or another) result in some Windows internals not working and returns some fairly meaningless error code.

A full reset will fix the problem. You may be able to manually fix the problem, but that's different for each and every user, so I can't help you there. I'd start by uninstalling anything that might have deep system access and thus might be interfering with Windows (e.g. anti-virus, firewall, drivers, themes, mods, etc).

Posting a list of all the software you have installed, and comparing that with others, might help us narrow down the culprit.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Looks like this one is caused by having a piece of software called "My Movies" installed, which installs some old SQL driver, which breaks the Windows Store, somehow...
https://www.reddit.com/r/filebot/commen ... oo/ef5ay12