Windows Server 2016

Support for Windows users
jbrown456

Windows Server 2016

Post by jbrown456 »

Hi,

Any plans on releasing a means of installing Filebot on Windows Server 2016? Was running from the old MSI installer on server 2012 R2 for years and recently updated to Server 2016. Was working great but now am having intermittent issues that I think may be related to running an old version. Regardless would like to be up to date and am more than happy to pay for the countless hours of renaming you've save me :D

Reviewed some of the previous posts about this but don't believe there is currently a way to get the program through the Windows Store app on Server 2016. It worked on 2012 R2 by installing the "Desktop Experience" role and downloading through the Windows Store but this isn't an option on 2016. It's been replaced by GUI or no GUI options but no store either way.

Thanks,

Jeff
rednoah
The Source

Re: Windows Server 2016

Post by rednoah »

You could use the portable package for Linux via the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

I have never used Windows Server 2016 and Google is not much help since few people are using it... So you're saying Microsoft decided to not support the Windows Store on Windows Server 2016? I'd be surprised if this was indeed the case. There's probably a way, but you'd have to ask in the Windows Server forums or subreddit.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jbrown456

Post by jbrown456 »

Sadly yes - they've replaced it with a Business Store that Enterprises can deploy with certain LOB apps. Unfortunately no access at all to regular Windows Store.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nan ... xperience/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... s-overview
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Alright. I'll see if it's possible to publish via the Business Store as well.

Have you tried this?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... vate-store

Maybe it's a matter of you allowing certain apps in your "organization" to be available?
jbrown456

Post by jbrown456 »

UPDATE - Created a Windows 10 VM on server, downloaded Filebot from Windows Store, setup a scheduled task to run on uTorrent Completed folder ever so often and copy to unRAID Media Directory and setup a --def excludeList so I don't get banned.

Thanks for the excellent software :)

Jeff
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I guess that's a good enough work around. :D

Still curious about Store apps on Server 2016. There has to be away. I'll look into it sometime.
mindstorm

Post by mindstorm »

I understand we're a very small minority, but I have the same problem. I actually went through the trouble of setting up a Microsoft account on my desktop (something I always avoided) just to purchase Filebot, only to then realise I couldn't install it on my media server. Googling around, there seems to be no practical way of getting a store app to work on Windows Server; side-loading appears to be possible but it's a pain to keep up-to-date and I'm not sure it would even work with a licensed app.

I'd happily pay for Filebot (it really is great stuff) but would need a non-Store way to purchase/deploy. Hopefully there will be one in the future.

Thanks again for the great work.