Tweaking JAVA for resource sparing

Support for Synology NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
devster

Tweaking JAVA for resource sparing

Post by devster » 27 Jan 2018, 01:51

I'm running FileBot along several other processes and it can happen that load on the system spikes during post-processing.
Are there some options or settings that can help keep resources used by FileBot (not just RAM but also CPU and I/O) as limited as possible without breaking anything?

With SystemD there's the obvious choice to limit all of the above but I wouldn't know which limits are acceptable.
For other systems more intricate methods with ionice, nice and -Xmx -Xrs or even more exotic options.
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)

rednoah
The Source

Re: Tweaking JAVA for resource sparing

Post by rednoah » 27 Jan 2018, 04:07

You can use the nice command to run commands with lower or higher priority. If you set a hard memory limit with -Xmx then FileBot will error out if it needs more.
My (very excellent) support depends on Windows Store and Mac App Store sales and Patreon support. Paying users, donors and everyone who contributes to FileBot in one way or another will get the very best support.

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.

devster

Post by devster » 27 Jan 2018, 19:15

Is there a lower requirement? I mean, is 64M of RAM, for example, enough to do anything?
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 09 Feb 2018, 05:45

Depending on what you're doing, 16 MB is enough (e.g. simple -rename -list --q command). A typical -rename command with series auto-detection and episode matching and a custom Groovy format expression will require at least 64 MB and maybe more. The amc script probably won't work well with less than 256 MB. If you process a large batch of files in one go with the amc script then 512 MB and more would be good.
My (very excellent) support depends on Windows Store and Mac App Store sales and Patreon support. Paying users, donors and everyone who contributes to FileBot in one way or another will get the very best support.

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.