[Tip] Win Java 32/64 system - update can remove 64 bit

Any questions? Need some help?
dwids

[Tip] Win Java 32/64 system - update can remove 64 bit

Post by dwids »

Hey all,

Got tripped up with this yesterday and took a while to work it out. It seems on Windows, only the 32 bit Java has an online update. I have both 32- and 64-bit. When it popped up to install the update, I did so, but then it said I had an out of date Java version and offered to remove them with a single click. Which I took.

With hindsight I'm pretty sure this is the 64 bit version it removed, but I'm also sure it didn't make it obvious.

By coincidence, I then upgraded FileBot and it stopped grabbing MediaInfo data. I initially thought the upgrade of Filebot was broken.

After checking I followed your steps and ran "filebot -script fn:sysinfo" and worked out it was a 32bit-64bit issue. It was only then I checked and found I had no 64 bit Java any more!. There's no 'web' installer, so I manually put on the latest JRE 64 bit and all is working again. There's a note on the 64 bit site saying you have manually check/update the 64 bit one. But be careful of the 32bit Java updater offering to remove older versions.