Windows Server 2016 Support

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
zwelch12

Windows Server 2016 Support

Post by zwelch12 »

Hello!

I am requesting support for Windows Server 2016 Data Center.

I currently can not download the Microsoft version of this app as it is only available on Windows 10.

As a workaround I am going to try to side load the app, but a Windows Server 2016 Data Center supported version would be nice.

Thanks,

Zach
rednoah
The Source

Re: Windows Server 2016 Support

Post by rednoah »

How does one add support for Windows Server 2016 Data Center? Maybe you can ask Microsoft Support how to install Microsoft Store apps on Windows Server?

:idea: I don't use Windows Server so I can't really test this one way or another. Maybe it's easy. Maybe it's impossible. IDK.

Have you tried this? Where did you get stuck?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... r-business

Or the Windows Server Desktop Experience?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... experience
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rudizone

Post by rudizone »

I have the same Problem
eiswuerfel

Post by eiswuerfel »

Same for me.
I bought Filebot on my Win 10, tried to install it on my Mediea Server (WS 2016) and see i cant install UWP Apps.
Any idea? I dont want to install a VM to use Filebot. I cant find any other working solution.
InvaderZim

Post by InvaderZim »

Same issue here. Been running FileBot for a year on my Windows Server 2016 Essentials Media Server and Windows 2012 R2 Essentials before that. I originally installed with the Windows .EXE-based Installer package, but switched to the choco package manager and am running this version:

FileBot 4.7.9 (r4984) / Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_161 / Windows Server 2016 10.0 (amd64)

This works well.

Now I'd like to install the latest version before reporting some minor but annoying bugs, but it's only in the Windows 10 store. I found a link to a replacement .jar for 4.7 but it's a FileBot.jar.xz.gpg file, encrypted and packed with some Linux-only tools and I don't have the patience to figure out how to unpack it on Windows. 7-zip doesn't like it.

Even though I previously donated, I would be happy to spend the $20 for the Windows version but need to run it on the Windows server because copying a large file to a Windows 10 workstation and back again just to rename it is silly. The required version is no different than a version of Filebot that will run on Windows 7 and the previous .EXE/MSI installer and "choco" package manager version worked just fine.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please read the following thread and contact me if you are interested in a private build:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5729

:idea: Please note that the Windows Store allows me to sell FileBot with the least amount of effort and time. I'd prefer users to do that, but I can make exceptions if absolutely necessary (at a premium price).

:idea: Note that renaming / moving files on a remote filesystem is not an issue. If you rename a file on a remote drive, then the physical data will never be transferred from or to your device. The file will simply be moved / renamed on the remote drive regardless of network speed (i.e. renaming a 100 GB file will always take 0 seconds).
InvaderZim

Post by InvaderZim »

Thanks for your reply. If I use FileBot on the server to rename a file, it is an instant file move unless the file is being renamed across drives. However, Windows 10 sees network shares on the server, not drives. So if I use filebot on Windows 10 to rename a file between shares like this:

\\server\incoming --> \\server\music

It copies the file, even if the same operation on the server (using drive letters instead of shares) is a simple rename/file move. I can't say if the file is being moved over the network or the copy is performed entirely on the server though.

I'll see if I can change my workflow and use Windows 10 filebot to rename the file across the network on the same share, and then move it later directly on the server. At this point, the filebot version I have on the server works but some of the expressions don't, which is what I was going to verify and report -- I want to target shares selected by the properties of the file being renamed but it was mangling the names. In any case, I can upgrade to the Windows 10 version and check that.

I do believe the Windows store allows non-UWP applications (that is, native code) to be distributed -- but based on what I'm seeing in this forum, FIleBot is a UWP application, which surprises me (I thought it was Java-based). If it's still Java-based, can I copy the .JAR file from a newly installed Windows 10 application and use it with 4.7.9 on the server, or is the .JAR file embedded in another program? That would also solve the problem.

Hopefully Windows Server 2019 (in beta now) will support the Windows Store, and in a year or so, that might also solve the problem.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That's true. If it's different network shares then it's the same as different drives and files will be physically copied and then deleted from the source. Best to use a single share (e.g. \\server\share) and then have folders incoming / music / etc in that one shared folder.

FileBot is not a UWP application. It's a classic Desktop application. The Windows Store supports classic Desktop applications since they introduced Desktop Bridge in Anniversary Update / Creators Update. But running it outside of the Desktop Bridge sandbox probably won't work because of the built-in software licensing.

Thanks for the update on 2019. I was hoping they'd add full support for the Windows Store. Hopefully with handy command-line tools as well for installing packages / apps.

Your easiest option would be my backwards compatibility build, and I could give you a promo code in the future once you can use the latest from the Store:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5729
InvaderZim

Post by InvaderZim »

I figured out a different workflow where I can use the Win10 version across my network. I can perform the rename operation on the same server network share that the original file is located on (and you're right that it's simply a rename and not a copy as long as the share doesn't change) and then log into the server and use file explorer to move it to the final destination folder where it belongs. If it's the same drive, Windows just moves the file and if it's a different drive, Windows performs a copy, but most of the time it's just a move. Moving files across network shares always performs a copy, even if it's the same physical drive, and this allows me to avoid that sometimes lengthy operation.

The tough part is, of course, the original file rename, and FileBot does that nicely. Moving it afterwards on the server is just a drag and drop, and I'd have to log into the server anyway to run FileBot, so it's not really any additional work.

So I went ahead and purchased through the Windows store -- very easy. If 2019 server supports the Windows Store (as I heard it will), hopefully I can log in with my Microsoft account on the server and switch to using FileBot on the server again. And I wasn't aware that the Windows Store allowed non-UWP packages yet (heard it was coming) -- I'll have to take a good look at that for my employer.

Thanks again!