[BUG] No "Folder Permissions Required" dialog for folders outside the home folder (v4.8 MAS version)

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
cwest

[BUG] No "Folder Permissions Required" dialog for folders outside the home folder (v4.8 MAS version)

Post by cwest »

The recently released 4.8 version from the Mac App Store seems to have introduced a permission-related regression. Here are steps for reproducing the issue:

1. Put a movie file on an external hard drive.
2. Drag the file into FileBot, match it, and then press the "Rename" button.

Expected:
The file should either get renamed right away, or you should get the "Folder Permissions Required" dialog, in which you would drop the parent folder to grant permission to FileBot to write to that folder.

Actual:
The "Folder Permissions Required" dialog does not appear, and instead you get a "FileSystemException ... Operation not permitted" error message and the file is not renamed.

If you put the file at the root level of your system drive, you get the same error message. However, if you put the movie file somewhere inside your home folder (e.g., at "~/Library/Accounts/"), then the "Folder Permissions Required" dialog does appear and everything works normally.

The previous FileBot MAS version 4.7.19 does not exhibit this issue. I replicated the issue on two different Macs, both running macOS 10.12.6.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

macOS: 10.12.6
FileBot: 4.8 (MAS-Version)
rednoah
The Source

Re: [BUG] No "Folder Permissions Required" dialog for folders outside the home folder (v4.8 MAS version)

Post by rednoah »

I'm not aware of any changes that might change anything in this regard.

You could try to completely reset the app by deleting the app data folder, and see if that makes a difference:

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot
:idea: Make sure to backup your custom formats / presets first.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
cwest

Re: [BUG] No "Folder Permissions Required" dialog for folders outside the home folder (v4.8 MAS version)

Post by cwest »

Thank you for the swift reply. Unfortunately, deleting "~/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot" did not fix the issue for me.

I just ran another test:
I remotely logged into a work computer that is still on 10.11.6 and on which FileBot had never been installed. I then installed FileBot (4.8 MAS), did not change any of the default settings, put a movie file at the root level of the system volume, and when I then tried to rename it, I got the same error massage as on my other two Macs.

Actually, the first time I tried to rename the file, it went through, but then I realized that that was only because the file already had the correct name and didn't actually needed to be renamed. This might be something to keep in mind when trying to reproduce the issue.

Did you try to reproduce the issue using the 4.8 MAS version on your machine? If yes but the bug did not show, is your Mac maybe already on High Sierra, so that that could explain why I can reliably reproduce the issue on multiple machines but you cannot?

Btw., if I delete 4.8 and revert to 4.7.19, everything works fine again.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've tried with a SMB network share and I cannot reproduce the issue with macOS 10.13.4 and FileBot 4.8. Can you provide screenshots or logs?

I tested with this file path:

Code: Select all

/Volumes/Data/TEST/Alias.1x01.mkv
cwest

Post by cwest »

That's interesting. It does start to look like the issue might only be present in pre 10.13 macOS versions.

Here is a screenshot:
(The file path was: "/Big Buck Bunny.mp4")

If there is a way to generate a log with v4.8 (MAS) that would be useful to you, I'd be happy to do so. Just tell me know how I would go about that. I already looked through logs in Console.app, but didn't find anything that looked like it was related to this issue.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

/ is reserved for system files. You can't / shouldn't put files in / because the OS will always deny access. Please choose a reasonable location (e.g. $HOME/Media) for putting your files.

Logs can be found in $HOME/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data but that won't help you much in this case because you shouldn't have files in the filesystem root / anyway.
cwest

Post by cwest »

As I wrote in the original bug report (and as the topic title indicates), the issue is also present for files residing on external drives, which is of course the much, much bigger issue than files at "/" no longer working.

I only used "/" as the file location in the screenshot because I figured that it would be easier for you to reproduce and because, just as with files on external drives, 4.7.19 handles files there fine, whereas 4.8 no longer does.

Here is a screenshot for a movie file on an external disk:

[...]

I just stumbled across this thread, in which two other people reported the same problem and you told them that the bug can be circumvented by moving the file to a specifically named subfolder. I had tested a bunch of different folders outside the home folder before I filed the bug, and none of them worked with 4.8. But if I create a folder that is specifically named "Data" and move the file into it, then the bug does not occur. That is very peculiar.

Anyway, it looks like you now have a relatively good idea what the issue is about. Since 4.7.19 works well for me and I prefer not to rename my folders, I'm gonna keep my "production" system on that version until the issue is fixed, but if you would like further help with testing, just let me know.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you rename your "-DL" folder to "Downloads" then it'll work. That'll help FileBot understand your structure, and probably yield benefits in many unexpected ways.

The latest version 4.8.1 might have a fix that should mostly alleviate the problem, at least as far as I can test.