Unofficial Java Installer NOT WORKING

Any questions? Need some help?
spurstastic

Unofficial Java Installer NOT WORKING

Post by spurstastic »

Dear Community,

Please help me..?
The Unofficial Java Installer won't install properly. It's get ALMOST to the end of the installation before a "Oops, something went wrong' message appears. The system offers a 'Repair' option but this merely reproduces the same error.

The log displayed a "Checksum mismatch"?

Thanks in advance,

Nik x.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Unofficial Java Installer NOT WORKING

Post by rednoah »

You could try the latest SPK from here:
https://github.com/rednoah/java-installer/releases
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
spurstastic

Post by spurstastic »

Thank you for your swift reply!

I tried _151, _144 and _131. I tried a manual installation as well as downloading it from the Package Centre. I also uninstalled FileBot Node and Node 4, but still no luck?!

I tried to copy and paste the View Log but Ctrl+C didn't seem to work?

I love FileBot Node; it does everything I need + more, but won't work without Java (Error 65 no Java).

Any further suggestions please?

Nik x.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you can't copy and paste, then you can take a screenshot instead.

:idea: I have confirmed that oracle-java-1.8.0_151-noarch.spk works on my DS213j.
spurstastic

Post by spurstastic »

I've managed to snapshot the Web Log using Snaggy:

Are there any clues from the Web Log as to why the Unofficial Installer isn't installing Java?

Nik x.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It can't resolve the IP address of the server download.oracle.com because it can't contact the DNS server. That's what the log says. It's a generic network issue.

Check your DNS server settings, and use Google DNS or Open DNS, if the DNS service of your ISP is broken.
spurstastic

Post by spurstastic »

Could these DNS server problems be related to Virgin Media changing my router. My recent problems with FileBot Node started when VM 'upgraded' me from SuperHub 2 to 3. Both Xbox Live and FileBot Node stopped working, until I 'opened' (forwarded?) the relevant ports, then Xbox Live started working again.

What exactly am I "checking" in the DNS server settings, and what does a "broken" DNS service look like?

Apologies for the lame/noob questions *sigh*

Nik x.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unless you changed your DNS settings, it's probably using the ones from your router, which is forwarding DNS requests to your ISP. If your ISP sucks, then I recommend logging into your router and setting the DNS server to Google DNS. You can Google how to do that. ;)

DNS is one of the most basic things of the internet. It has nothing to do with port forwarding. DNS is best explained by Wikipedia. Suffice to say, if you can open this website, then DNS is at least partially working.
spurstastic

Post by spurstastic »

I couldn't change my DNS server with Virgin Media; apparently it's impossible?! So I changed the DNS server in my Synology Disk Station to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. as an alternative.

BINGO - the Unofficial Java Installer started working immediately. FileBot Node now restored to full power!

Thank you Rednoah x.