Manual / Getting Started / Frequently Asked Questions

How-to guides, frequently asked questions, not-so-obvious features, etc
rednoah
The Source

Manual / Getting Started / Frequently Asked Questions

Post by rednoah »

⭑⭑ Please watch the Getting Started and Video Tutorials if you have not done so already. ⭑⭑

Q: Can I move files? Can I rename folders? Can I change how files are named?

Yes, the naming scheme is extremely flexible. You can transform the given variables into any file path you can conceive. Sorting files into a new folder structure is thus fully supported. Please use Double-Click ➔ Icon Edit Format to open the Format Editor for the selected New Names item and then edit your custom naming scheme to your liking.

You can define an absolute path in the naming scheme:

Format: Select all

{ drive }/Media/TV Shows/{ n }/Season { s.pad(2) }/{ n } - { s00e00 } - { t }
If you are organizing files for Plex then the {plex.id} binding will give you the path you want:

{ drive }/Media/{ plex.id }
:idea: {drive} refers to the file system root for the file at hand. If you want to organize files into a specific folder, please modify your naming scheme accordingly, e.g. X:/{plex.id} on Windows or /Volumes/Media/{plex.id} on macOS or ~/Media/{plex.id} on Linux.

:idea: Please read How do I organize files for Plex? if you are renaming and organizing files for Plex.

Q: How do I fix misidentified files?

If series / movie auto-detection does not work, then you can use Icon SHIFT-CLICK <database> to force manual input and selection of the series or movie. You can manually fix an individual match via Double-ClickIcon Edit Match. As a last resort, you can always grab the episode list in in the Episodes panel and then drag-and-drop or selectively copy-and-paste the episode data you want over into Rename for manual matching. Click Icon Match to automatically align files with episodes or use drag-n-drop to realign IconIcon files and episode data.

If you're using the command-line you can do the same via the --q and --filter options. Please read --q manual lookup and --filter and fine-tuning manual. The --mapper option may also come in handy. If your files are already in order, then you can use Linear Rename instead of automatic matching. When dealing with problematic files manually on the command-line, the --action test and --mode interactive options can be used for testing and checking.

:idea: Consider using Match Mode: Strict instead of Match Mode: Opportunistic to favour simple matches / no matches over excessive guesswork.

:idea: Translating IconIcon is difficult and may require some finesse. Please read How do I convert AniDB Absolute numbers to TheTVDB Airdate SxE numbers? if you are struggling with Anime episodes.

:idea: If the episode SxE number and the episode title refer to different episodes, then the SxE number takes precedence. Please read How do I match episode files by episode title? if you want episode titles to take precedence over SxE numbers.

Q: FileBot keeps asking me to select a series. How can I make FileBot remember my decisions?

Please toggle Icon Manual Confirmation to Icon Automatic Selection to remember your decisions. You can override a previously remembered decision via Icon SHIFT-CLICK <database> to force manual input. Please read Match Mode: Opportunistic vs Strict for details.

Q: How do I exclude a file from the renaming?

Select the file that you want to exclude from renaming and press DELETE or BACKSPACE to remove Icon the selected row from both Original Files and New Names. Use SHIFT-DELETE or SHIFT-BACKSPACE to remove a selected item from Original Files but not New Names or vice versa.

Q: FileBot does not give me the season number. I have {s00e00} in my format, but it'll only give me the episode number. What did I do wrong?

Have you set your preferred Episode Order to Absolute Order in Icon Preferences? Please use Airdate Order or DVD Order instead.
Are you using Icon AniDB data? AniDB only provides absolute episode data since Anime do not have seasons. Use Icon TheTVDB instead.

Q: How can I make FileBot only process video files? i.e. ignore artwork, nfo files, etc

You can selectively drop files, e.g. search for *.mkv, select all and drag into FileBot. Please read How do I process only specific kinds of files? for more options and examples.

Q: How can I rename video files ripped from a DVD or BluRay disk?

If you rip video files from a DVD, then you will typically get file names that do not contain SxE numbers (e.g. Alias-V01D01T01.mp4) and thus cannot be matched to Icon TheTVDB or Icon TheMovieDB/TV via automatic matching. However, even badly numbered files are typically in order at the very least, so you can rename files in linear order to make quick work of the task at hand.

Q: How can I rename folders? It's only letting me rename files when I drop folders!

When you drop a folder into Original Files, then FileBot will add all the files within that folder to the list. You can use Icon LINK-DROP to add the selected folder as a single item. Please read Rename Folders for details.

:idea: DVD and BluRay folders are added as a single Folder item by default.

Q: FileBot is highlighting episodes in shades of red colour. What does this mean?

Shades of RED colour highlight potential mismatches at varying degrees of oddness. RED colour does not mean that the match is incorrect, and merely suggests that something seems to be a bit off. Please double-check everything before hitting Rename.

Q: FileBot is deleting the extension from files when renaming. What did I do wrong?

You have set Icon Extension: Override in Icon Rename Options and ignored the Missing Extension warnings before renaming. Please set it back to Icon Extension: Preserve.

Q: Can I undo rename operations? Can I revert previously renamed files to their original names?

Yes. Please click Icon Open History and then right-click any item and select Icon Revert. You can revert the most recent rename operation by calling filebot -revert on the command-line. Please read Rename History for details.

Q: How can I get rid of (US) (UK) (2005) etc at the end of the series name?

Please adjust your custom format according to what you want.

{ n.replaceTrailingBrackets() }

Q: Can I quickly switch to a previously used naming scheme?

Yes. Please click Icon Recent Formats and then select one of the previously used custom formats from the list. You may prefer to create custom Presets for recurring tasks.

Q: Can I process video files without reading media info?

FileBot may read the first few megabytes for each video file to parse MediaInfo properties. If you are processing files on a remote file system, then I/O latency can be >1s compared to the typical <10ms of a local drive. You may configure FileBot to not read MediaInfo, or pregenerate MediaInfo locally on the server-side ahead of time. Please read Optimizations for Remote File Systems for details on how to configure FileBot for your environment.

Q: I'm trying to run FileBot from the console, but I'm having trouble passing in --format because of spaces or double-quotes?

Please read up on how Cmdline and Argument Passing works. Please consider using @file syntax for reading command-line arguments from text files instead of passing complex arguments on the command-line.

Please use the sysenv script to print the argument array so that you can see what is being passed in:

Shell: Select all

filebot -script fn:sysenv

Q: Why are some bindings not working in the Format Editor? It says "BindingException: Sample file has not been set"

You have not yet selected a media file for testing. Please click Icon View Bindings to set a sample media file.

Q: How can I enter my OpenSubtitles login details?

You can enter your OpenSubtitles login details by clicking Icon Login in the Desktop application, or calling filebot -script fn:configure on the command-line for each user, or by clicking Tools ➔ Configure in the FileBot Node WebUI:

filebot -script fn:configure

Q: Does FileBot have keyboard shortcuts?

Yes. Please read Keyboard Shortcuts for details.

Q: How can I tell what version of FileBot I've got installed?

Icon GUI: Press F5 to open Groovy Pad and then press Icon System Information:

Groovy: Select all

runScript 'sysinfo'
Icon CLI: Run filebot with the -version flag:

filebot -version

Q: Where are the logs? What does the log say?

Icon GUI: Press F5 to open the Groovy Pad and then press Icon Error Log:

Groovy: Select all

runScript 'logs'
Icon CLI: Run the logs script:

filebot -script fn:logs

Q: Where is the application data folder? How do I backup my settings? How do I restore my settings?

The default location for application data (e.g. settings, logs, etc) is %APPDATA%\FileBot on Windows and $HOME/.filebot on macOS and Linux. You can backup and restore your settings via Export User Data and Restore User Data.

Screenshot

e.g. Windows:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\FileBot
:idea: Press Win+R, then paste %APPDATA%\FileBot, then hit ENTER to open the FileBot application data folder.

e.g. Mac, Linux, BSD:

~/.filebot
e.g. Mac App Store:

~/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data
e.g. Microsoft Store Store:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot

Q: How do I clear the cache?

Please call filebot -clear-cache on the command-line. Please read Clear Cache for details.

Q: <something> doesn't work. Is there something wrong with my license key?

No, there's probably nothing wrong with your license key. Please read How to Request Help so that we can help you find out what's actually going on.

Q: Where can I find the latest beta builds?

Please read Latest Beta Revisions and Release Candidates for details on the latest builds and revisions.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.