FileBot won't start/doesn't show on the screen

Support for Windows users
33M4zReQA4Myr3yh

FileBot won't start/doesn't show on the screen

Post by 33M4zReQA4Myr3yh »

I was using an older version of filebot and then Java updated and filebot wouldn't start. I installed the newest version of filebot available and that wouldn't start either, I deleted all versions of Java off my pc and installed the three available on ninite:
64-bit Java Runetime (JRE) 8u222-b10
32-bit Java Runetime (JRE) 8u222-b10
64-bit Java Runetime (JRE) 11.0.4
and it still won't run. Which version of Java do I need to use with the latest version of Filebot (4.8.5 x64)?
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot won't start/doesn't show on the screen

Post by rednoah »

None. FileBot uses its own private embedded JRE. The public JRE that you may or may not have installed on your system has no effect on FileBot.

:idea: Perhaps screenshots or logs will shed some light on this mystery?

:idea: Make sure to uninstall all versions of FileBot, and then only install the latest version of FileBot. You can also try to reset preferences to make sure the window is not displayed outside of the screen bounds.

Please read How to Request Help.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
RegularJohn

Post by RegularJohn »

I have the same Problem as 33M4zReQA4Myr3yh.

I run Win10 Home and installed through the latest Windows Installer .exe from filebot.net

When I start the program I see:

for 1 second before its closed again.

I probably have to mention that I used a "unauthorized" version before buying my license. It was a portable version so I think there is nothing left of it, but I thought I mention it if that could be a problem.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Strange... No idea...

Try running from command-line and see if there's any error messages in the console.

Try disabling graphics acceleration and see if that makes a difference:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6406
RegularJohn

Post by RegularJohn »

rednoah wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:50 2.
Try disabling graphics acceleration and see if that makes a difference:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6406
This did the trick for me. Thank you.

I don't see a downside in using the non accelerated version but what could be the cause of this? And is there a way to fix it?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Not using graphics acceleration is the fix in this case. It's enabled by default in the JRE, but probably not strictly necessary on modern hardware for FileBot specifically.

:idea: It's probably some sort of underlying issue in the JRE or Windows or graphics drivers or strange combination thereof, but unfortunately not something I can debug or fix by looking at the FileBot source code, since it's an underlying issue in the platform, and not FileBot itself specifically.

:?: What graphics card / drivers are you using?
RegularJohn

Post by RegularJohn »

rednoah wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 17:15 :?: What graphics card / drivers are you using?
I use a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 from MSI and the driver Version is 436.30
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Interesting. This kind of graphical glitch issue does seem to be limited to Nvidia 1080 series cards. At least that's the HW configuration that everyone reports.
RegularJohn

Post by RegularJohn »

I found out whats keeping FileBot from staring for me.

It's the RivaTunerStatisticsServer https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rt ... nload.html

I use the program to monitor FPS and CPU/GPU load in games. RivaTunerStatisticsServer is known for causing problems and you can set exceptions so it doesn't interfere with specific programs. In the case of FileBot that sadly doesn't work. I have to shut down RivaTunerStatisticsServer and then I can run FileBot without problems.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 16 Nov 2011, 16:46 Frequently Asked Questions
Q: UI is glitching. FileBot crashes on startup. What's wrong?
Graphics glitching all over? FileBot not working via remote desktop (RDP)? You may need to tell Java Swing to turn off Direct3D rendering:

Code: Select all

setx J2D_D3D false
Are you using ZoneAlarm or MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner? Software that interferes with Windows internals (especially filesystem / registry access or Direct3D render pipeline) can cause applications to crash.
RivaTuner again... urgh, that would explain things. It's a known issue. Unfortunately, not much I can do about it.

:idea: I'll look into disabling graphics acceleration by default for upcoming revisions though. Might not even make a noticeable difference on modern hardware. Let's see.