New user to FileBot

Support for Windows users
Dygme

New user to FileBot

Post by Dygme »

Very new user. First time ever hearing of this program. I saw it for my Unraid system, so I downloaded the Windows version. Before getting a license I need to know a couple of things.

When I download or rip my movies I put them all in a temp folder. The hierarchy is usually this:

MediaDownload folder
Movie Folder
Movie name

I do not want the MediaDownload folder to change, that will always be there. But I would like the Movie Folder and the Movie name to be renamed. Is this possible?

Since I am a brand new user I've only used the GUI so far. I have dropped the MediaDownload folder into the Original Files box. All the movie names showed up. I clicked rename and it went through and did a good job of renaming most of the movie names. But did it also rename the Movie Folder? Since I can't continue to see if it does without a license, that's why I'm asking. I hope everyone understand what I mean. Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: New user to FileBot

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: Please read FAQ #1 and learn how format expressions work.

Presumably, you'll want to use a custom format such as this:

Code: Select all

X:/MediaDownload/{ny}/{ny}

:!: Renaming files and folders in-place is generally not a good idea.

:!: FileBot does not rename folders, but it does move files into a new folder structure, creating new folders as necessary, which is what you want.

I'd highly recommend processing files into a pristine new structure, so that you can easily tell well-organized files apart from other files simply by looking at the parent folder:

Code: Select all

X:/Media/{plex}
:idea: viewtopic.php?t=4116
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.