Subtitle downloads gets an additional language code like .dut.nld.srt

Support for Windows users
Yellowbird

Subtitle downloads gets an additional language code like .dut.nld.srt

Post by Yellowbird »

Would users benefit of having a preferred-subtitle-language-code and store it for example in the settings ?
Because the players use the following codes: ISO-639-1, ISO-639-2T, ISO-639-2B
Definitions https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc ... ource.html
Standards http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langhome.html
And users have different players, so different wishes for the subtitle-language-code to be.

FileBot was used to upload the subtitles, according to the advice of rednoah, so others could easily download it again through FileBot by dragging the .mkv's on to the blue-download-button.
But what happens now, is that the files were uploaded as ".dut.srt" and the download is now suggesting to name them as ".dut.nld.srt"
This additional ".nld" is not helpful.
Perhaps you can find a way to decide if it's necessary or not to put this addition in the name and prevent it from being double ?
It would also be really helpful if the addition is according to the preferred-subtitle-language-code.
It could even be in the dropdown, where you choose the language like Dutch and choose Dutch-nl, Dutch-dut, Dutch-nld or an extra dropdown for the subtitle-naming-code.

Regards,
yellowbird
rednoah
The Source

Re: Subtitle downloads gets an additional language code like .dut.nld.srt

Post by rednoah »

The OpenSubtitles filename is generally irrelevant. AFAIK, there isn't even an option that would allow you to "Keep Original" and "Add Language Code" at the same time.

Subtitle Naming: Keep Original will just keep the original OpenSubtitles file name as is and won't add a language code.

Subtitle Naming: Match Video and Language will use the video name file as base name, and add the language code after that, as per standard video/subtitle naming convention. The original subtitle filename is completely ignored in this case.

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

Subtitle Naming: Match Video and Language will use the video name file as base name, and add the language code after that, as per standard video/subtitle naming convention.
The original subtitle filename is completely ignored in this case.

This is the one I am after and it gets a "nld" (being one of three standards) to the filename.

The Subtitle Naming methods are:
  • Keep Original
  • Match Video
  • Match Video and Language1
  • Match Video and Language2
Could you add a fourth method to get the second standard according subtitle naming convention ?
With that, you covered all the codes with 3 positions.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That could be added. Though it's generally not necessary as processing video files / subtitle files with Rename will also include formatting language tags, e.g. {plex} format will use ISO 639-2/B for destination file paths.

The OP states that you end up with .dut.nld.srt double-language tags? That would be an issue somewhat unrelated to having Subtitle Naming methods for ISO 639-3 and ISO 639-2/B respectively.
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

1. That would be great. I have a whole line of instructions on how I want the naming to be and is accepted by the Plex Server. The {plex} format would take away to much of my formatting.

2. Well I have seen that it is not entirely true. It looked like I would end up with that. This was my conclusion before I started the Download.
I will try to explain it.
At first the mkv's are dropped on the blue-download-button.
Now the subtitles are found and listed in a 2-column-grid.
Here it doesn't show the original subtitle, but the language-code is already added there (Column2).
And because it was uploaded as "moviename.dut.srt", the name became "moviename.dut.nld.srt".
In this same environment, choosing a different Subtitle Naming-method does not visualize what the end-result is going to be.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

{subt} will use ISO 639-2/B by default. If you're using {lang} then {lang.ISO3B} will do.

FileBot will auto-detect the Language regardless of what specific standard is used in the language suffix, statistical language detection from file content, etc, but how you then format that Language in the destination file name is entirely up to your custom format.

AFAIK, the file name you see in the subtitle selection combo box is the file name as specified by OpenSubtitles. FileBot doesn't add or change anything. The original file name, however messy it may be, usually helps with selecting the best option.

EDIT:

Correction: FileBot does add language tag and subtitle extension based on subtitle metadata. This might result in duplicate information.

EDIT 2:

FileBot r7372 will display the subtitle option "as is" using the file name in the database, without adding any information from the subtitle metadata.
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

I use the {subt} and that is with the renaming-menu. And works good.
But I don't think there is a way to use this code in the subtitle-menu.
The only way to influence this, is by asking you for the fourth-option ?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Perhaps adding support for format expressions might become necessary for Subtitles as well at some point. You want ISO 639-2/B, others might want 2-letter codes, yet others might want the language name. Some want lower case, some want upper case, some want dots, some want dashes, I'll see what I can do.
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

Ok, thank you beforehand.