How can I create Artist > Album folders while leaving the track intact?

Support for Windows users
jeffreyabr

How can I create Artist > Album folders while leaving the track intact?

Post by jeffreyabr »

As I move away from Google Play Music into Plex, I have discovered that the new platform requires tracks to be ordered in a strict folder hierarchy. While my music already has the appropriate title and metadata that I do not wish to disturb, I do want to find a method where I can select tracks and have them filed into a folder structure of Artist > Album > track so that Plex can read them properly.

In the event that an Artist > Album folder already exists, I just want the file to be moved or copied there and not erase any files already in there.

Is this something that can be done with Filebot?
rednoah
The Source

Re: How can I create Artist > Album folders while leaving the track intact?

Post by rednoah »

File and Folder naming is highly customizable, so anything you can think of is possible:
https://www.filebot.net/naming.html

:idea: You can (and should) evaluate this before purchasing FileBot in any case.

FileBot will generally not allow you to overwrite files. So any source file for which the destination path already exists, will be skipped during processing.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jeffreyabr

Post by jeffreyabr »

rednoah, thank you so much for taking the time to curate, update, and maintain this app as well as singlehandedly provide support on the forums.

I managed to figure out a method of preparing files for Plex processing using some Python scripts between the time I posted and now, and it's pretty seamless, so I'm going to stick with that.

But I hope you know that it is unique for a developer to be as committed and dedicated as you, and I hope that you receive the appreciation that you deserve for all of your efforts.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No worries. Use the tools that works best for you. :ugeek:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Nic

Post by Nic »

@Jeffreyabr, that solution sounds intresting, would you explain a little more, I am look for something similar
jeffreyabr

Post by jeffreyabr »

Sorry buddy. I completely forget what Python scripts I ended up using. I don't think my files were that mismatched, so it ended up being something like reformatting based around whatever their naming conventions were. Nowadays, you might even be able to get ChatGPT to write something quick and dirty for you if that's the case. But what I did use FileBot for, it was very efficient.