How do I preserve custom hidden companion files?

Support for Windows users
jaytee

How do I preserve custom hidden companion files?

Post by jaytee »

Hi. I'm sure I've got something very simple confused, but I've spent a lot of time (hours) researching, but can't seem to get a simple thing to work. What I' trying to go is get Filebot to rename a folder, and the files within that folder, to match the detected information.
So I think to do this I should be link dropping the folder. However, when I do that, and rename, it creates a new folder named as expected (rather than renaming the original) and renames the original folder under the new folder, named as I would like the files to be named. I assume that I could do this in 2 steps (so rename the folder, then rename the files*), and will do so if necessary, but the Manual says this is considered bad practice (though I note that the video tutorial does it that way).

I'm not sure that the format I'm using is relevant, since it seems to also happen for {plex}

*And my idea of the 2-step process may not work either, because if I drag the folder, and so get the file; with my format the files are moved to differing folders based on the base names of the files (e.g. .eng.srt files are in a different folder.) and with {plex} a new folder is created, the (recognized) files are moved there, and the original folder is deleted (along with any extra files)

I don't think logs or screenshots will help, but am happy to provide those.

I assume it is something I'm not understanding, or an obvious (to others) mistake?

Thanks,

John
rednoah
The Source

Re: simple confusion? renaming files/folders.

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Please absolutely do include screenshots at all times, including file structure.

:arrow: I'd start by comparing what you're doing, to what the Getting Started video tutorial is doing, to see how your use case is different, or what you're doing different:
https://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

jaytee wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 20:31 So I think to do this I should be link dropping the folder.
If you link-drop a folder, then you instruct FileBot to treat this folder as if it was a single atomic file, and not as a folder that contains other files. If you want to rename files, then this is probably not what you want. It's a hidden feature for a reason. ;)

jaytee wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 20:31 I assume that I could do this in 2 steps (so rename the folder, then rename the files*), and will do so if necessary, but the Manual says this is considered bad practice (though I note that the video tutorial does it that way).
Note that the video tutorial does not do it that way. The video tutorials does show you 2 separate and independent use cases, simply renaming files in place, and moving and renaming files into a new folder structure. What you see is what you get, and what you see is defined by your custom format.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Re: simple confusion? renaming files/folders.

Post by rednoah »

I've received your email and fixed your post so that it will pass the WAF:
jaytee wrote: Ah, OK, so not the link drop then :-) Thanks!

So then we have normal dropping of the folder, rather than link dropping. One stage improvement in my knowledge :-) ? So, is that the 'correct' way, or dropping the files _from_ the folder as shown in the tutorial?

In any case, when I drop the folder and rename, it creates a new folder, moves the 3 of the files across (.mkv & .srt), then deletes the original folder with the additional [hidden] files, which is not what I am trying to do...

From everything I've read, I still think that Filebot should do what I want (rename folder and files - in place) without even waking up, and I'm getting something fundamental wrong?

System info:
Original directory:
Original Dir:
New Dir:

(The extra file was originally hidden, which I guess is why the directory was being deleted before - don't really want to unhide all the files, but I remember seeing something about this somewhere :-) - I'll have a look)

:arrow: I see. The core question is "How do I preserve custom hidden companion files?" and the short answer to that is simply that you can't. Plus FileBot will automatically delete left-behind empty folders (empty as in looks empty to normal users) which creates the illusion of "renaming folders" for most use cases, which is rather unfortunate for your particular use case.

:idea: Although FileBot has some limited support for copying along companion files, hidden files are explicitly excluded from that, so you're out of options there as far as the GUI application is concerned:
viewtopic.php?t=12172

EDIT:

:arrow: The long answer for your specific use case is indeed using Link-Drop to treat the movie folder as if it was a movie file (thus processing the entire folder as a single unit). You'll have to adjust things accordingly, i.e. use one format when processing the folder, use another format when processing all the files in-place in a second step. That would be my first idea, but since your use case is rare and unique, we can't really recommend any best practices one way or another.
jaytee

Re: How do I preserve custom hidden companion files?

Post by jaytee »

Thanks Indeed. That (link drop to rename the folder, then renaming files) was my best guess, so I'll try that. Note that it isn't only hidden files but other ancillary files. So the question above is better phrased with 'including hidden'.

I was hoping for less manual effort (e.g. some films/series have multiple files/resolutions, which I'd want to be in the same folder) but at least some of the work can be automated.

I think I was assuming that the process was 'throw a bunch of files/folders at filebot (potentially folder by folder), and it will put them ALL into a customized structure. Would I have better fortune with the CLI?
rednoah
The Source

Re: How do I preserve custom hidden companion files?

Post by rednoah »

jaytee wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 08:50 Note that it isn't only hidden files but other ancillary files.
All kinds of ancillary files are imported by default if you enable Import companion files.

:?: Which ancillary are not currently imported?

jaytee wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 08:50 I was hoping for less manual effort (e.g. some films/series have multiple files/resolutions, which I'd want to be in the same folder) but at least some of the work can be automated.
This is literally how it works. It's one of the main reasons why we can't recycle-rename folders in the first place. ;)

jaytee wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 08:50 I think I was assuming that the process was 'throw a bunch of files/folders at filebot (potentially folder by folder), and it will put them ALL into a customized structure. Would I have better fortune with the CLI?
Well, since FileBot works the way you suggest already, both GUI and CLI will work the way you suggest. The only minor issue that I can see are the hidden files that are going to be left behind. --apply import won't work as discussed above because of the hidden files, but you can always use -exec to and write your own post-process import script as suggested here.