Reinstalled Filebot...Renaming now followed by "Extended Attributes"

Support for Windows users
bigbirdtrucker

Reinstalled Filebot...Renaming now followed by "Extended Attributes"

Post by bigbirdtrucker »

Upon a fresh OS install I performed a fresh Filebot install and something "new" is happening.

Presently immediately after every renaming through Filebot, a small window pops up and says "setting extended attributes" (lasts a few seconds, completes, and closes)

I'm wondering if this "setting/feature?" could negatively affect my media collection regularly renamed though Filebot?

I've read through several semi-related posts on this topic on some other websites where some recommend disabling this feature, followed by a string to fix the "damage done"? :-/
Following Rule #1 "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ...I came here to the Filebot community to seek accurate information on the subject. I simply am trying to avoid any unforeseen issues in the future. Especially since 100% of the renaming tasks I've done through Filebot (before seeing this attributes window) have been simple and seamless. Maybe I ticked a box I shouldn't have while installing?"

I rename files using a simple plex string Example: dir:/ {plex.tail} so the Plex program can easily recognize the series/film and find it's associated album art / metadata.

Should I remove or disable this "Extended Attributes" feature? How is that done?
If I should remove/disable this feature is there any damage done to previous files renamed this way? (I've only renamed about 250 files so far on this install)

Could Extended attributes potentially cause issues with Plex or Total File Commander in the future when I do backups of renamed collections?

Any information is appreciated. Not sure if this is a big issue or if I'm worrying for nothing, it's just alien for me to to see this feature and I'm unclear on what it's doing to the files after renaming them (if anything)

All help is appreciated greatly. Thank you!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Reinstalled Filebot...Renaming now followed by "Extended Attributes"

Post by rednoah »

bigbirdtrucker wrote: 06 May 2021, 10:55 Presently immediately after every renaming through Filebot, a small window pops up and says "setting extended attributes" (lasts a few seconds, completes, and closes)
FileBot has been writing Extended Attributes by default since 2012, so if you've been good up until now, then you're probably good going forward. The thing that's new is the progress indicator where there previously wasn't any indication of progress, other than a wait cursor that maybe lingered an extra 2-3 seconds.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
bigbirdtrucker

Post by bigbirdtrucker »

rednoah wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:15
bigbirdtrucker wrote: 06 May 2021, 10:55 Presently immediately after every renaming through Filebot, a small window pops up and says "setting extended attributes" (lasts a few seconds, completes, and closes)
FileBot has been writing Extended Attributes by default since 2012, so if you've been good up until now, then you're probably good going forward. The thing that's new is the progress indicator where there previously wasn't any indication of progress, other than a wait cursor that maybe lingered an extra 2-3 seconds.

Excellent. So the status bar indicator is new...however the functions of the actual renaming process remains unchanged do I have this correct?

Regardless, the extended attributes won't affect my backup capabilities when using programs like Total Commander, etc. (a mirroring program for backups) or for Plex, correct?

Are there any drawbacks to the feature?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Pretty much. Nothing has changed. Plex, Total Commander, etc will continue to work just fine as your files remain untouched and unchanged. There is no downside to having additional metadata associated with your files.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.