Filebot: "Source and Destination Files are the Same"

Support for Windows users
bigbirdtrucker

Filebot: "Source and Destination Files are the Same"

Post by bigbirdtrucker »

With certain folders that contain files already renamed by Filebot, when adding episodes to that folder Filebot doesn't recognize that the files already contained in that folder which are already renamed. (Hence No green icon to left of existing files). So if I click "Rename", Filebot prompts me with a "The Source and Destination Files are the Same" message.

I can click skip at the prompt, and it will skip the episodes that are already renamed...and it will properly rename the added episode(s). After this operation all files "appear" to be properly renamed.

What could be preventing Filebot from recognizing that the files in these folders are already renamed? This issue is only happening with about 3-5% of my directories.

In most of my Filebot directories, a green icon appears next to each file to indicate that the episode already exists. This is what I'm hoping to occur with all my directories.

So far, I have just been clicking "skip" when the prompt occurs but I'd like to resolve the underlying issue, so Filebot recognizes the episodes which have already been renamed.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot: "Source and Destination Files are the Same"

Post by rednoah »

The Image green icon means that the original path and the proposed destination path are exactly the same. No more. No less. FileBot does not "recognize" renamed files per se.

Please take a screenshot of the conflict details. There is no "The Source and Destination Files are the Same" error message as far as I know. Each conflict message explains the nature of the conflict, conflicting files, and suggestion for a fix. So we'd need to see that to shed light on the issue.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
bigbirdtrucker

Post by bigbirdtrucker »

It's not a Filebot error message it's the standard windows error that source and destination files are the same.

What I meant to say is that in almost every directory I open in Filebot that contain existing files (episodes) the green icon is next to every file that already exist in that folder. It's the absence of the green icon next to every file (only when accessing a few directories) that confuses me.

When I load a particular directory that has files where the original path and destination are the same, I almost always (95% of the time) see the green icon next to every file (except for the ones I'm adding of course)
In just a few directories Filebot shows zero occurrences of the green icon (even though there are many files in that directory where the source and destination files are the same) ... and am attempting to add an episode or more, it's when I click "rename" in Filebot Windows displays a prompt saying the source and destination files are the same (and they are) ...Except for the files I am adding. If I click skip, Filebot renames the new files and problem solved. I'm just wondering why it isn't seeing the existing files in that dir upon opening.

Windows displays this prompt ONLY when these icons are not present at all before clicking rename.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

bigbirdtrucker wrote: 12 May 2021, 20:43 Windows displays this prompt ONLY when these icons are not present at all before clicking rename.
I see. That would make sense. If FileBot knows that that source / destination path is the same, then FileBot will display the green icon, and do nothing when you click rename. But if FileBot for some reason thinks the path is different, while Windows thinks the path is the same, then FileBot will ask Windows to move the file, and Windows will refuse. Why that might be, we cannot know without knowing the exact situation, source / destination paths, etc. My best guess would be letter-case-only changes in the episode title over time as people update the information online.

We would need screenshots and source / destination paths too look into this issue further. Please read How to Request Help for details:
rednoah wrote: 31 Jul 2014, 16:40 Include file paths as text when reporting mismatches (press F7 to copy debug information)

EDIT:

In addition to file paths, we would need to know your format to possibly reproduce the issue. Also, screenshots would be extremely helpful since we otherwise cannot see what you see.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

So I tried lots of different things, and I found one corner case where the Windows File Operation makes me click Skip.

These are the conditions:
* Copy
* source folder equals destination folder
* source name equals destination name but only case-insensitively

e.g.

Code: Select all

Copy C:/a.mkv -> C:/A.mkv
:idea: Copy cannot perform this operation because you cannot have a file named a.mkv and another one named A.mkv in the same folder, though Rename would work in this particular corner case.

:?: Is this conceptually what you're doing? Copying files, not renaming files? Copying in the same folder, not copying files into a new folder structure?
bigbirdtrucker

Post by bigbirdtrucker »

rednoah wrote: 13 May 2021, 14:59 So I tried lots of different things, and I found one corner case where the Windows File Operation makes me click Skip.

These are the conditions:
* Copy
* source folder equals destination folder
* source name equals destination name but only case-insensitively

e.g.

Code: Select all

Copy C:/a.mkv -> C:/A.mkv
:idea: Copy cannot perform this operation because you cannot have a file named a.mkv and another one named A.mkv in the same folder, though Rename would work in this particular corner case.

:?: Is this conceptually what you're doing? Copying files, not renaming files? Copying in the same folder, not copying files into a new folder structure?
Negative. I'm renaming files not copying them. Filebot isn't recognizing the destination and source are the same with files already renamed by Filebot for certain folders. It is in this specific circumstance when renaming with Filebot where the green icon is absent next to the files of which already exist that directory. When Windows issues the prompt that source and destination files are the same I click "skip" and Filebot renames the new files accordingly. I am just unsure why Filebot doesn't recognize the files that are already in the folder like it usually does with almost every other folder.
bigbirdtrucker

Post by bigbirdtrucker »

A screenshot would simply show a string of files without a green icon next to them in the affected folder. Unnecessary
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

bigbirdtrucker wrote: 13 May 2021, 17:15 I am just unsure why Filebot doesn't recognize the files that are already in the folder like it usually does with almost every other folder.
I have no idea. What's the difference between cases that work and cases that don't work?

bigbirdtrucker wrote: 13 May 2021, 17:17 A screenshot would simply show a string of files without a green icon next to them in the affected folder. Unnecessary
I'm super duper keen on seeing those source path(s) and destination path(s) at that point in time. A screenshot would allow me to see the source path(s) and destination path(s) you're working with, and allow me to possibly reproduce the problem on my machine. What's special about the files where it doesn't work? If you would like me to find out for you, then a reproducible test case is necessary.