Renaming is taking a loooong time

Support for Windows users
Soop

Renaming is taking a loooong time

Post by Soop »

I just downloaded this today to rename my media files. My films got renamed pretty quickly, but my TV shows have been processing for about an hour now. This is after I've matched all the series up, and before it asks my permission to actually rename the files.

I have about 3-400 files, and my cpu is an i7-7660U with 8gb of RAM. Should it be taking this long?

To add: Filebot is using about 1.3gb of RAM and about 35% CPU, but both local and external HDDs are pretty much idle, as is the network. I have no idea what it can be doing.

And there's nothing in event viewer that indicates any type of problem.

After over two hours, I rebooted and tried again, and it's still getting stuck. This is getting frustrating
rednoah
The Source

Re: Renaming is taking a loooong time

Post by rednoah »

Are your files on a remote network share?

:arrow: This might help: viewtopic.php?t=12022

:idea: Not that file system operations are performed by the operating system / file system driver. As far as FileBot is concerned, it'll merely asks the OS to "move X:/a.mkv to Y:/b.mkv" and then the OS performs these operations however fast or slow it can. FileBot itself doesn't even know if the files are local or remote. So if it is indeed the file system operation (e.g. move operation after hitting Rename) that is slow, then you won't find a solution within FileBot, but may find a solution by googling generic network share troubleshooting advice.

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.

EDIT:
Soop wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 17:57 This is after I've matched all the series up, and before it asks my permission to actually rename the files.
FileBot does not ask for permissions, so if something is asking for permissions, this could be a clue. Can you post Screenshots?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Soop

Post by Soop »

It's not on a network share, it's on an external USB drive.

When I say asks for permission, I rather mean it fills in the right hand pane and prompts you to commit to the new names. After selecting my source of new names, and then completing the prompts to manually select certain series it's unsure of, it never completes the process of generating new names.

I can't get a screenshot because it never gets to the point that the right hand window fills with new names, I just see the progress spinner in the corner.

I left this going overnight and still no new filenames.
To double check I'm doing everything right, I tried my movies folder again and the names appeared in ~2 minutes. This is the same drive, the only difference appears to be the source of the names.

I started again, this time using theMovieDB as the source of the names (same source that just worked for my movies) and so far it hasn't generated names in about 15 minutes.

This suggests to me that there's either a file in that directory that's causing a problem somewhere, or there's something wrong with the part of the program that generates new names. So far, everything else has been proven to work correctly

*Edit*
Ok the moviedb finally worked after about an hour, but I'm not sure it's as accurate as the TV show DB
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sounds like a network issue. In this case, you can check the log file to see if there's anything related to HTTP request timeouts or other network errors. FileBot will typically retry a few times, with increasing retry delay intervals, until it either starts working again, or the retry limit is exhausted.

:arrow: Please read How to Request Help for details on how to find and view the log file.

If you have trouble matching files, then it's best to try with a new empty sample file (e.g. Alias.1x01.mkv) just to see if the most simple test case works, and so you can get a feel how things should work. If that works, then you can systematically tackle the problem from there by trying small batches of files, just to see what works and what doesn't, and then take it from there. Maybe it's a generic server-side problem that affects all files. Maybe it's just some freak corner-case specific to one single file.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.