File-Bot quit and working & won't re-install

Support for Windows users
DSlabby

File-Bot quit and working & won't re-install

Post by DSlabby »

Using for last several years no problem, then suddenly quits with search wheel spinning endlessly. Often locks up windows explorer as well. Rest of windows works fine, just not FB. Tried to uninstall/re-install and File-Bot fails to install with error Code: 0x80070005. Access denied. I am administrator and sole operator of this computer and have full rights. File bot was purchased through the windows store and has been uninstalled and reinstalled to no success. I have not bought and installed the stand alone version as I already own this through the store. It was installed and working fine until just recently, but no updates or changes have been made recently. My antivirus has been turned off & even uninstalled to try and get it running but no go. Any help or advice? Win 10 pro 32GB ram fully updated. Running Kaspersky AV.
DSlabby

Re: File-Bot quit and working & won't re-install

Post by DSlabby »

Yes I've done that also, but what permissions and how to fix it. Portable version installs but does not work, just endless "searching" as well.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

DSlabby wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 02:46 Yes I've done that also, but what permissions and how to fix it. Portable version installs but does not work, just endless "searching" as well.
What happens if you leave it for a few minutes? What does the log say? Eventually, there will always be some kind of error message. In this case, most likely a network related error message.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
DSlabby

Post by DSlabby »

File-Bot never installs so I can not get to any information from the program itself. The desktop installed version from the website "installs" but is non-functional. Not sure which windows log you want me to look at. Sorry for taking so long to get back regarding this, got busy suddenly and this fell off the radar.
DSlabby

Post by DSlabby »

Uninstalled the windows desktop version and tried to load up the portable version. Lo and behold it works, looks a little different but works fine. Not sure what the issue is with the windows store version (which I own) and the desktop version from your site not working, but the portable on does. Bought a license so I'm good for now. Hope they fix the store version soon, lifetime key. And now the windows desktop version is working with the new key but the windows store one won't install yet. Anyways, I'm good for now and have 2 licenses. Thanks for your help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

So you're saying the Microsoft Store doesn't even install FileBot? In that case, only Microsoft Support can help. There's definitely nothing we can do (i.e. code changes) of no FileBot code is ever executed... Same applies to Microsoft Installer not installing the files in the MSI package...

If both Microsoft Store and Microsoft Installer don't work, then that would hint at there being a fundamental Windows issue. The portable package is just a ZIP file, so you can extract it yourself, bypassing any issues you may have with Microsoft Store / Microsoft Installer. So factory resetting your machine will almost certainly fix the problem, whatever it may be. But finding and fixing the problem might be pretty much impossible. That's how these things go...
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.