Severe: Failed to fetch resource: Permission denied.

Support for Windows users
IceQueen

Severe: Failed to fetch resource: Permission denied.

Post by IceQueen »

Hi,

I cannot rename content.

1. Reinstalled W10 from scratch
2. Installed FileBot 4.9.6
3. Applied license file (filebot --license *.psm)
4. Applied preferences from a backup created before I wiped and reinstalled Windows (Filebot -script fn:preferences "I:\PostInstall\Tanya\Tanya.prefs.xml")
5. Attempted to rename a couple of movies via GUI
6. All failed. See code below from log file.

Code: Select all

Apr 11, 2022 11:54:12 AM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
WARNING: Fetch failed: Try again in 2 seconds (2 more) => java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 11:54:14 AM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
WARNING: Fetch failed: Try again in 8 seconds (1 more) => java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 11:54:22 AM net.filebot.CachedResource lambda$get$2
SEVERE: Failed to fetch resource: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 11:54:22 AM net.filebot.media.MediaDetection getLocalizedMovie
WARNING: Failed to retrieve localized movie data: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 11:55:14 AM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
WARNING: Fetch failed: Try again in 2 seconds (2 more) => java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 11:55:16 AM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
WARNING: Fetch failed: Try again in 8 seconds (1 more) => java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 11:55:24 AM net.filebot.CachedResource lambda$get$2
Apr 11, 2022 11:55:24 AM net.filebot.media.MediaDetection getLocalizedMovie
WARNING: Failed to retrieve localized movie data: Permission denied: no further information
Apr 11, 2022 12:00:10 PM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
Apr 11, 2022 12:00:12 PM net.filebot.CachedResource retry
Apr 11, 2022 12:00:21 PM net.filebot.CachedResource lambda$get$2
Apr 11, 2022 12:00:21 PM net.filebot.media.MediaDetection getLocalizedMovie
I was going to try and clear the cache as a post I found on my search to resolve this issue suggested that, but then I came up on this post, so I did not proceed.

viewtopic.php?t=1996
rednoah
The Source

Re: Severe: Failed to fetch resource: Permission denied.

Post by rednoah »

This error message would indicate a generic network issue unrelated to FileBot specifically:

Code: Select all

java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: no further information

:arrow: The error message would indicate that something on the OS level is blocking socket network connections. 3rd party VPN, anti-virus software and firewall software would be the usual suspects.

:arrow: I've never seen this error message before. Google might help though, since it's a generic error message that would affect other software just the same.

:idea: -clear-cache has no effect if the issue is blocked network connections. It'll make things work even less due to FileBot not being able to fall back to previously cached information.

:idea: If filebot --license works, then that's a clue. Maybe the filebot.exe executable specifically isn't blocked. Maybe nothing was blocked at the time, and then something changed.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
IceQueen

Re: Severe: Failed to fetch resource: Permission denied.

Post by IceQueen »

I would never post on forums unless I had tried searches first. I didn't find anything useful so I posted here.

I've been using a VPN since 2010. Filebot has been working for many years, even with the VPN.

Nothing in Windows Firewall specifically for Filebot. I wouldn't block it as I know it needs internet access, but I checked just in case.

Yes, with the clear-cache I was grabbing at straws.

Ah, yes, the license worked. So something else conflicting.... That was indeed a good clue.

I do block one specific program that is riddled with telemetry and sends data out to over 100 IPs at start up... A Program called DVDFab. Very nasty program. It uses cloudfront for some of the destinations where it sends data, and cloudfront share IP addresses.

Sure enough, IP address 34.107.221.82 was blocked and killed Filebot. I unblocked it and Filebot worked. I tried a few movies, and Filebot then started using 18.67.93.7, which is another cloudfront address, but that one is not used by DVDFab. I re-enabled my DVDFab firewall rule, which I've been using since 2018. Don't know why it decided to throw an error now?

So this seems to have resolved the issue. If it happens again I know where to look.

After installing Windows I run a rather lengthy script that automates the install of all my programs and system configuration. Basically turns a full days work into a 20 minute job. It installs DVDFab and creates the firewall rule. It's worked the same way for 4 years. So why this happened now is beyond me.

Anyway, thank you for your help.