Plex doesn't understand the .nld subtitle

Support for Windows users
Yellowbird

Plex doesn't understand the .nld subtitle

Post by Yellowbird »

Hi rednoah,
is it possible to change the subtitles to ".nl" or ".dut" for the dutch subtitles when renaming ?
These work both in Plex.
This is because Plex doesn't recognize the ".nld".
Apparantly they have chosen for the 3-letter to use the ".dut"

rednoah
The Source

Re: Plex doesn't understand the .nld subtitle

Post by rednoah »

:idea: The {plex} format explicitly uses ISO-639-2B codes (i.e. dut for Dutch) and not ISO-639-3 codes (i.e. nld for Dutch) because the latter is known not work well with Plex.

:arrow: You will need to move / rename your files with the {plex} format first. That'll take care of generating Plex compatible file paths, including subtitle file names. Please watch the How do I organize files for Plex? video tutorial for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

Hi rednoah, thanks for answering.
All my ".dut.srt" work in Plex.
All my ".nl.srt" work in Plex.
So I have no problem there.

I will describe my handlings better :
I am in Subtitles and drop my files on the blue-icon.
I have the setting Subtitle Naming = Match Video and Language
I have the setting Subtitle Format = Keep Original
For clarity I will enclose a bigger picture.
And now the language that was added is ".dut.srt"
This time I only landed 1 file on the blue-icon.
Why did it take ".dut.srt" this time and the previous time it created ".nld.srt" ?
Can I somehow/somewhere tell the program the proper and wanted subtitle-codes ?
Do you have a placeholder for this, so I can always get the same subtitles-code and not different results with the same settings ?

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see. You are using Plex but you are not following the Plex naming conventions and don't plan on doing so.

:arrow: Nevertheless, I would still strongly recommend organising your files with FileBot with the {plex.id} format as seen in the How do I organize files for Plex? video tutorial. That would solve your problem, and would make Plex happy in many other ways as well.

:idea: The Download Subtitles feature is unfortunately generating standard ISO-639-3 language codes by default and unfortunately isn't configurable.

:idea: If you use Subtitle Naming = Match Video and Language then you will always get the ISO-639-3 language code. If you select Subtitle Naming = Keep Original then FileBot will use the original file name as is, with or without the language tag, whatever it may be.
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

I am going to try the {plex.id} format.
There was some mental resistance because I had put a lot of effort in the renaming presets to get just want I want and also what Plex accepts.

By the way after upgrading the presets seems empty.
Where are they stored on a Windows installation ?
And which file to look for ?
And which subfolder\filename is it for a portable installation ?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you're using the portable package for Windows, then your user settings and preferences (custom formats, custom presets, etc) will be stored in the settings.properties file in the data folder located in the application folder where the *.exe is located.

:idea: If you're using a custom format, then you can modify your custom format to yield ISO-639-2B codes:

Code: Select all

{ subt }

{ lang.ISO3B }

:idea: You can import / export your settings for save-keeping like so, and you may want to share your custom formats publicly here in the forums for your future self and others just in case:
viewtopic.php?t=4205
Yellowbird

Post by Yellowbird »

Hi rednoah,

In two different parts of FileBot the subtitle extension is used differently.
When naming used from the menu [Subtitles], the extension {subt} becomes ".nld" and this is done by FileBot, not by me.

Now I am using from the menu [Rename] and this code:

{drive}/{"media"}/{"movieskids"}/{n} {"($y)"}{" {tmdb-$id}"}/{fn}{"$subt"}

Here FileBot adds the ".dut" to the ".nld" that was put there earlier.

When in method [Subtitles] was named ".dut" instead of ".nld", then probably in method2 [Rename] would have recognized the ".dut" and not have added an additional ".dut"

While testing I have found the following :

As a side-effect:
If you should drop the existance off ".nld" and trade it in for ".dut" then that would also fix it for Plex .
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

{fn} is the current file name. {subt} is the subtitle suffix for Plex. There is no recognition. If {fn} is A.x and {subt} is y then {fn}{subt} is A.xy because FileBot simply executes your format, but has no human-level understanding of what your format is trying to do once you put together all the pieces.

You can of course add "recognition" to your own code and take bits & pieces from the current file name, i.e. name without trailing .abc pattern if any:

{ fn.before(/[.]\w+$/) }

:idea: FileBot has no particular preference for .nld or .dut and will treat both of them equally. {lang} is neither nor ".nld" nor ".dut", specifically, but a Language object that is comprised of all the language codes, language names, etc. The default String value is the ISO 639-3 code though, and forgetting the existence of the correct language code according to the latest standard, although useful for some software, probably would just invite the same issue with other software.