How could one automatically move the txt files to the destination?

Support for Windows users
Biff

How could one automatically move the txt files to the destination?

Post by Biff »

How could one automatically move the txt (without or with renaming them) files to the destination?

Newest portable, stable FileBot, Windows 10 Home, 64bit
rednoah
The Source

Re: How could one automatically move the txt files to the destination?

Post by rednoah »

Does the Import companion files post-processing feature work for your use case?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you.

No, that does not seem to work:

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Biff wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 11:46 Image
What happens if you click Rename? The previously mentioned post-processing features are executed after files have been renamed.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Sorry, since the files remain greyed out, although - as I saw later - they are being copied (not moved) after all, I assumed they would not be taken into account. Why do they stay greyed out?

And ALL of the files obviously are COPIED (not moved, as I thought), not only the txt files.
What happens if you click Rename?
Some files are moved (like usual) the others are copied obviously.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Items that do not have a match on the opposite side are greyed out.

:idea: The Import companion files feature will indeed copy along arbitrary files from the source folder to the target folder. Apply Post-Processing Features are executed after files have been processed, and can be used on files that have been processed previously based on history information.

:!: Your specific use case of automatically moving along specific companion files seems to not be supported well. You can either use Manual Matching to manually match your *.txt and *.jpg but this isn't very automatic, or you can use Import companion files to automatically copy along all companion files. I'd probably go with Import companion files because manually deleting unwanted files seems straight-forward.

EDIT:

Can you post file paths as text so that we can add this to your list of sample files for possible future reference if we are to improve support for this specific use case?
Biff

Post by Biff »

:idea: Items that do not have a match on the opposite side are greyed out.
So it is not recognizable in FileBot whether one item will be moved / copied or not or be copied or moved?

Why at all "Import companion files"? Why is such an import? Not only a copy / move?
:!: Your specific use case of automatically moving along specific companion files seems to not be supported well. You can either use Manual Matching to manually match your *.txt and *.jpg but this isn't very automatic, or you can use Import companion files to automatically copy along all companion files. I'd probably go with Import companion files because manually deleting unwanted files seems straight-forward.
OK, many thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Biff wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 10:14 So it is not recognizable in FileBot whether one item will be moved / copied or not or be copied or moved?
The GUI will indeed not preview what Import companion files (or any other processing feature) will do after the shown Original Files / New Names mappings have been processed.

Import companion files is primarily useful for generically processing files that can't otherwise be processed. Please read Companion Files for details. Import companion files always uses --action duplicate (i.e. hardlink if possible, copy if necessary) so you don't lose your files if something goes wrong.

An alternative approach would be pre-renaming your Companion Files to match the name of the primary video file, so that automatic matching can make sense of things:

Code: Select all

Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, many thanks! I will try that.