Dark theme?

Support for Windows users
J. Scott Elblein

Dark theme?

Post by J. Scott Elblein »

On my standalone portable version (latest version of FB just downloaded) the dark theme doesn't wanna take effect. After searching and coming across this post*, I tried it, but it just kills all objects on the interface.

I made a vid of it. The vid shows how it is pre-theme attempt; running the theme command, restarting it so the theme takes effect, then deleting the file it created and restarting to show it was the theme change that broke it: Click

*Is there no way to add a checkbox, dropdown list, or something to just select the theme change right from the GUI, rather than have to run a command line via the GUI (after searching the forums for the command to use)? :D
rednoah
The Source

Re: Dark theme?

Post by rednoah »

You can do Win+R and then run then paste the command:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.theme=Darcula
:idea: The script just writes additional startup configuration. You can run the script within the GUI, but that's not advisable since it doesn't do anything to the currently running instance.

:idea: The FileBot (platform) (i.e. filebot.platform.launcher.exe) shortcut uses the fail-safe configuration which disables system integration. This may include setting a specific theme. See filebot.platform.launcher.l4j.ini for details. The FileBot (i.e. filebot.launcher.exe) shortcut is the standard entry point for normal GUI users which will use the AppsUseLightTheme registry setting to launch either in Light mode or Dark mode. For the sake of completeness, the FileBot (console) (i.e. filebot.exe) shortcut is the standard entry point for CLI users.

:?: What does the console output say when it doesn't work? Press Win+R and then enter filebot to run FileBot with console window so you can see the console output. (NOTE: this is the same as launching via the FileBot (console) shortcut)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
J. Scott Elblein

rednoah wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 02:34 :idea: The FileBot (platform) (i.e. filebot.platform.launcher.exe) shortcut uses the fail-safe configuration which disables system integration. This may include setting a specific theme.
Ok, it looks like that was my problem; I was running the Platform launcher because double-clicking the regular Launcher was resulting in nothing at all running (at least on Win 11, I haven't tried on Win 10). I tried running the regular launcher as Admin, and now it starts and automatically is setting the dark theme. :)

Side question, is there an easy way for users to create their own theme? I'd love a dark Nord theme.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, custom themes are not supported.

:idea: If you want to write a custom look-and-feel for Swing then you can do that, and if you publish your work with a permissive license, and plan to maintain it for years to come, then I could certainly include your theme with future versions. But it's gonna be a 1000+ engineering hours effort. FileBot just isn't (easily) themable due to underlying technology limitations.

:?: What does the console output say when it doesn't work?
J. Scott Elblein wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 03:46 double-clicking the regular Launcher was resulting in nothing at all running (at least on Win 11, I haven't tried on Win 10).
:idea: I will assume that your Windows Desktop is also styled in an unusual manner? The Java Swing system theme is known to break if certain Windows libraries behave in unusual ways.
J. Scott Elblein

rednoah wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 03:54But it's gonna be a 1000+ engineering hours effort. FileBot just isn't (easily) themable due to underlying technology limitations.
Yikes. lol. Have ya ever considered porting over to something like C#/VB/WPF to make things easier? (Not just theming). I know it would probably be a ton of work; I'd imagine by now FB is a crazy number of lines, but ya never know in the long run, it might make things a lot easier and offer more "robustness".
I will assume that your Windows Desktop is also styled in an unusual manner? The Java Swing system theme is known to break if certain Windows libraries behave in unusual ways.
Hmm, not really that comes to mind, just the basic Win 11 theme. Win 11 itself has it's own "new" theme, so maybe that's interfering with Swing somehow. I don't really mess with Java much, so I can't really speak on that, though.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

J. Scott Elblein wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 04:21 Yikes. lol. Have ya ever considered porting over to something like C#/VB/WPF to make things easier? (Not just theming). I know it would probably be a ton of work; I'd imagine by now FB is a crazy number of lines, but ya never know in the long run, it might make things a lot easier and offer more "robustness".
The Java / Java Swing ecosystem is unfortunately peerless when it comes to developing and maintaining multi-platform Desktop applications with limited resources over the long term. C# / VB / WPF don't add much, and certainly have their own disadvantages that might not even outweigh the benefits for the task at hand. Java / Java Swing / C# / VB / WPF technologies are all from the same generation after all. The modern web with HTML5/CSS is cool though, and really does make UI significantly easier, and more standardized and customizable, plus the client/server model would have certain advantages.

J. Scott Elblein wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 04:21 Hmm, not really that comes to mind, just the basic Win 11 theme. Win 11 itself has it's own "new" theme, so maybe that's interfering with Swing somehow. I don't really mess with Java much, so I can't really speak on that, though.
We primary develop and test on and for Windows 11 because that's what a large number of users use. It should work well.
J. Scott Elblein

rednoah wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 06:56The modern web with HTML5/CSS is cool though, and really does make UI significantly easier, and more standardized and customizable, plus the client/server model would have certain advantages.
That was my other thought; maybe something like JS and all of it's current frameworks, plus Electron, etc.
We primary develop and test on and for Windows 11 because that's what a large number of users use.
That's kinda interesting to know. I've been using Win11 on a Bootable thumb drive and other than the purty theme, I tend to like Win 10 a lot better. I've been using every Windows version since 3.1 and always liked each upgrade up until Win 11. Kinda surprised that most other's haven't also just stayed on Win 10.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »