Escaping a dot in a path?

Support for Windows users
J. Scott Elblein

Escaping a dot in a path?

Post by J. Scott Elblein »

What's the proper method of escaping a "." in a file path whilst renaming?

I am renaming to this path:

Code: Select all

\\192.168.0.6/Tank/Media/.merge/Movies/
and during the rename FB dislikes the dot before the "merge" (but ignores the dots in the IP):

I've tried both of these, but it always says the same error:

\\192.168.0.6/Tank/Media/\.merge/Movies/

\\192.168.0.6/Tank/Media//.merge/Movies/
Entire rename string looks like:

\\192.168.0.6/Tank/Media/.merge/Movies/{collection.sortName('$2, $1').replaceFirst(/^(?i)(Collection of the)\s(.+)/, /$2 Collection/).replaceAll(/Saga Collection/, "Saga").replaceAll(/[`´‘’?""“”]/, "'").replaceAll(/[:|]/, " - ").replaceAll(/[?]/, "!").replaceAll(/[*\s]+/, " ")}/{norm = {it.upperInitial().lowerTrail().replaceAll(/\b\.$/, '').replaceTrailingBrackets().replaceAll(/[`´‘’?""“”]/, "'").replaceAll(/[:|]/, " - ").replaceAll(/[?]/, "!").replaceAll(/[*\s]+/, " ").replaceAll(/\b[IiVvXx]+\b/, {it.upper()}).replaceAll(/\b[0-9](?i:th|nd|rd)\b/, {it.lower()}).sortName('$2, $1')}; norm(n)}{if (norm(n) != norm(primaryTitle)) ' ('+norm(primaryTitle)+')'}{fn.contains('3D') || fn.contains('3-D') ? ' '+'3D':""}/{norm(n)}{fn.contains('3D') || fn.contains('3-D') ? ' '+'3D':""} ({y}){' - pt'+pi} {' ('+fn.matchAll(/theatrical|extended|uncensored|remastered|unrated|uncut|directors.cut|special.edition|open.matte|collectors.edition|colorized|b&w/)*.upperInitial()*.lowerTrail().sort().join(', ').replaceAll(/[._]/, " ")+')'} - [{hd} {hdr} {vf} {vc} {bitdepth}bit {resolution}] [{ac} {channels}]{if (ext == 'srt') '.eng'}
rednoah
The Source

Re: Escaping a dot in a path?

Post by rednoah »

You can click Continue if you think that the file path is correct and valid.

:idea: You don't need to escape anything. It's already working correctly, and that's why FileBot says that .files and .folders are a bad idea. You can't escape the confirmation dialog. Maybe you know what you're doing. Maybe your SMB server will reject the file path. Maybe your SMB server will accept the file path and then not let you access it afterwards. Maybe everything works as you expect. Depends entirely how hidden files and folders are handled by your SMB server configuration.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
J. Scott Elblein

Post by J. Scott Elblein »

Looks like it doesn't like when I use the IP:

The source and dest are both on the same machine, but when using the IP FileBot needs credentials, while when using the domain name it doesn't, and moves it w/out showing the confirmation dialog. Not sure why, but not really a big deal. I normally just prefer to use the IP in case Samba gets cranky, which I see all the time.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That's a Windows error message. Nothing FileBot can do about that.

The UNC file path itself is fine, and FileBot passes that into the OS, which then may or may not be able to perform the requested operation, just like with a normal local file path. FileBot itself doesn't know the details and just passes the OS error message, which could be anything, back to you.

EDIT:

AFAIK, the validation dialog will help you not accidentally create Unix hidden files and folders, but accept .folders that are already confirmed to exist without complaint (since nothing can go wrong, since it's already confirmed to work) but if MOVE doesn't work, then EXISTS probably returns a negative, and so you are asked to confirm a non-existing .folder path in that case.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.