Error Renaming Multiple Part Episode by Title - Dangling Meta Character '*'

Support for Windows users
sqlallstar

Error Renaming Multiple Part Episode by Title - Dangling Meta Character '*'

Post by sqlallstar »

I am using this preset to find episodes with only a name and match them properly. (on 4.9.6)

Code: Select all

{episodelist.findAll{ fn =~ it.title }.join(' & ')}

Episode file is like this:

Dexter's Laboratory - The Busboy & Things That Go Bonk in the Night & Ol McDexter
And it gives me this error + the file name

[Dangling meta character '*' near index 0*Figure Not Included^] Dexter's Laboratory - Ol' McDexter
Any idea what is going on?

THanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Error Renaming Multiple Part Episode by Title - Dangling Meta Character '*'

Post by rednoah »

"string" =~ /regex/
assumes that the right-handside is a regular expression. The episode title from the database is not guaranteed to accidentally be a valid regular expression. You probably mean to use String.contains() to check for a substring match:

"string".contains("string")

sqlallstar wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 22:05 I am using this preset to find episodes with only a name and match them properly. (on 4.9.6)

{episodelist.findAll{ fn =~ it.title }.join(' & ')}
Note that formatting is unrelated to matching. If you "fake" the file path in the format, that has no effect on the underlying xattr metadata that is the match.

:idea: Match by Episode Title would be the recommended approach, though limited to single episode matches. Match multi-episode out-of-order cartoon episodes by title is an advanced command-line use case which does not have a real 1-step equivalent in the Desktop application as far as I know.

:!: Note your code does not work for the sample file name above, because "Things That Go Bonk" does not contain "The Justice Friends: Things That Go Bonk in the Night" and "The Busboy" does not contain "The Bus Boy". The "Multiple Part Episode by Title" use case is very tricky after all.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Error Renaming Multiple Part Episode by Title - Dangling Meta Character '*'

Post by rednoah »

:?: Are all your files tripple episodes? Or is it a mix of 2-episode files, 3-episodes files, 4-episodes files, etc at random?

:?: Can you paste all the file paths as text so we can look at this use case in more detail?

If your files are grouped into multi-episodes by episode airdate, then we could add a "Group by Date" feature to make this use case easier in the Desktop application as well:

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.