"Self-Healing" subtitles?

Support for Windows users
viking
Power User

"Self-Healing" subtitles?

Post by viking »

I am still struggling with poor subtitle downloads. I recently discovered that subtitle downloads seems to "self-heal".

For example, using the script I may download sub-titles for a whole season (e.g. 13 episodes) of a TV show. When I check the subtitles, I may find 6-7 subtitles to be out sync. If I later, e.g. one month later, then delete and download the subtitles again, only 1-2 subtitles are out of sync.

(Unfortunately, I did not log the original downloads so I can not compare to see which subtitles were downloaded the 1st and 2nd time).

My question: Are subtitles continuously being removed and replaced with better versions? If so, who does that? The original uploader or someone else?
rednoah
The Source

Re: "Self-Healing" subtitles?

Post by rednoah »

Everyone? It's called OpenSubtitles for a reason.

@see http://www.opensubtitles.org/en

More importantly, there's people that re-upload good subtitles for their video files if the see that the current ones are shit. So over time FileBot will get more options to choose from.

The reason you get bad subtitles is that some idiot uploaded out-of-sync subtitles (for hash-lookup) or that the right subtitles for your exact file can't be determined (for name-lookup, assuming correct subtitles exist, which is not necessarily the case).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
viking
Power User

Post by viking »

I am not sure if you understood my question?

I realize that subtitles are constantly added, but my question was if they were also removed / replaced?

For example, a few weeks ago, I downloaded a poor (hash-matched I believe) subtitle. Yesterday, I downloaded again and only one subtitle (hash-matched) was available. This one was OK. Thus, the previous bad one must had been removed (or at least no longer found by Filebot).

My question was : who can remove subtitles? The original uploader or also someone else (e.g. the one who uploaded the better one)?
Last edited by viking on 01 Oct 2015, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot doesn't search for subtitles by name if it has found a hash-match already. So once hash matches are available, the number of options you get in the GUI becomes less.

Also, there's probably is people that can update and remove subtitles. The admins and original uploader can definitely do this. But not sure how many people actually do that.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.