FileBot on the Windows Store

Support for Windows users
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot is available on the Windows Store since today! No more NSIS / MSI installers or manual updates! :mrgreen:

:!: Make sure to install FileBot via the Microsoft Store. If FileBot nags about a license key, then you did not install FileBot via the Microsoft Store. Please uninstall all editions of FileBot that you may have installed, and then exclusively install FileBot via the Microsoft Store.

:!: Make sure to uninstall previous versions of FileBot before purchasing FileBot on the Windows Store. If FileBot nags about updates or donations, then you are inadvertently running a legacy edition of FileBot, and not the latest Windows Store edition.

Notes:

Windows 10 with all the latest updates is highly recommended, to make sure the Windows Store works smoothly.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Free Promo Codes are available upon request (PM me) especially for anyone who has contributed one way or another in the past. ;)

UPDATE 1 July 2018: Since FileBot has it's own cross-platform license system now, Windows Store promo codes are no longer available. Instead, you may now request a free 1 year universal / cross-platform license.

:idea: Promo Codes are available for anyone who has donated more than $5 before 2012 or more than $10 before 2014 or more than $20 before 2016.

:idea: Promo Codes can be earned by helping out here in the forums. If you're a FileBot Pro, then earning yourself a Promo Code is a piece of cake. ;)

:idea: Promo Codes are available to any and all open-source developers that have contributed anything of value to any open-source project (developers, maintainers, designers, translators, etc).

:idea: If you're affiliated with any of the projects or services that FileBot is built on (e.g. MediaInfo, TheTVDB, etc) then you can have promo codes for you and all your friends.

:idea: Do you regularly contribute to society without expecting to get paid? e.g. suicide hotline, language teaching for immigrants, voluntary fire and rescue service, etc. You most definitely deserve a promo code!

Troubleshooting:

:idea: FileBot does not require you to install Java on your system. The Windows Store package includes FileBot and all it's dependencies including a JRE. If FileBot asks about Java, then you are inadvertently running a legacy version of FileBot, and not the latest Windows Store version.

:idea: Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling FileBot? If you have previously installed FileBot from outside the Windows Store, then it is highly recommended to that you remove any existing legacy installs of FileBot before installing FileBot from the Windows Store.

:idea: Software that interferes with Windows internals such as ZoneAlarm or MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner can crash and break Windows Store applications.

:idea: The Windows Store version of FileBot will import your existing settings from legacy versions of FileBot on startup. You can use remove-java-preferences.reg to clear all existing legacy FileBot settings from the Windows registry.

If you have trouble with the Windows Store, please contact Microsoft Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

If you have questions regarding the Windows Store and troubleshooting issues, you can ask here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ws_install
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Ari37

Re: FileBot on the Windows Store

Post by Ari37 »

Feedback is terrible! I buy this becouse i try support you. But this software crashing my computer.

Code: Select all

Stop code:kernel_security_check_failure
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Are you using Windows (Version 14393.351 - KB3197954) or higher?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... own-issues

If it's the same as the Kodi BSOD issue then MS may have fixed that with that update.
bonis666

Post by bonis666 »

Hi,
Im trying to buy Filebot through the windows store, but it's not available in the swedish one. And i can't make purchases in the US one. Is there any other way of getting it ?

System: Win10
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Are you sure that FileBot cannot be found on the Swedish Store?

It's definitely listed and it's even got a review by someone who has successfully purchesed it:
https://www.microsoft.com/sv-SE/store/p ... ?cid=forum
bonis666

Post by bonis666 »

wizard... well thanks :)
sorry for idiot post but i thought i tried searching it everywhere.. nothing showed up.

I had the wrong region in Windows so i was transfered to the american store all the time, and since my payments aren't valid there i could not go through. But now its fixed :)
Last edited by bonis666 on 17 Feb 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What have you tried? Do you mind taking some screenshots of Windows Store not showing FileBot when it should? If usability issues prevent you from making a purchase that's something the Microsoft people might wanna have a close look at. :lol:

When you click on the link and get the US store, doesn't it automatically redirect you to the Swedish one?

If you open the Windows Store and search for "filebot", do you get any results?
bonis666

Post by bonis666 »

rednoah wrote:What have you tried? Do you mind taking some screenshots of Windows Store not showing FileBot when it should? If usability issues prevent you from making a purchase that's something the Microsoft people might wanna have a close look at. :lol:

When you click on the link and get the US store, doesn't it automatically redirect you to the Swedish one?

If you open the Windows Store and search for "filebot", do you get any results?
I had wrong region selected in windows :) so it redirected me back to US store and since i don't have valid payment options for that one i could never process the transcation. But now it works :)

Looking forward to try to automate everything with this one :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see! The the root cause was a accidentally misconfigured Windows Store settings. Thanks for checking!
bonis666

Post by bonis666 »

rednoah wrote:I see! The the root cause was a accidentally misconfigured Windows Store settings. Thanks for checking!
Yeah, and thanks man, i have been looking for exactly this :) this is awesome, just have to find out some small errors, when i try to change from filebot to filebot.launcher. The script stops working.

Have tried using the whole path which in my case is.
C:\Users\bonis66\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\PointPlanck.FileBot_49ex9gnthnt12\filebot.launcher

but then it does not work. but I guess with some trial and error i will get there :)

Edited:
Well figured that out also, it's friday and im tired :) forgot the " " and the .exe now everything is running super smooth :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store will make sure that these things are added to the path.

Commands like "filebot" and "filebot.launcher" will just work. If you're not using a system call (%PATH% is ignored) to call filebot and not CMD or PowerShell, you may need explicitly have cmd do the call.

e.g.

Code: Select all

cmd /c filebot -version
MrMax

Post by MrMax »

Cannot download from Windows store. Tried several different computers, all Windows 10. Keep getting error message "Error, see details". Error code 0x803F800A.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

MrMax

Post by MrMax »

Yes, tried them all except the very last one "Reset Windows Update". Don't want to mess with that. Any other suggestions?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Can you post a screenshot of the error message, please?

If it doesn't work on several machines, then I'd contact Microsoft Support. Maybe your account is blocked or something.
MrMax

Post by MrMax »

No, account isn't blocked. It's working fine for other apps.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Have you tried reporting the problem to Microsoft / Windows Store Support? If it doesn't work on different machines using your Microsoft account, but only for one app, then it's probably a problem with your Microsoft account.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Hi Guys,

nice work. Just found out, that Filebot went to the Windows Store because of an older version installed on my Notebook, which send me to the download site. So I got the information, that filebot isnt free anymore.
I like the tool very much an used it several times, but is the windows version only on the mIcrosoft Store from now? 19,89 Euro is pretty much for me and Im sure you had a lot of work, to make this great tool.

So if there isnt a free version anymore or a possibility to find a cheaper key/code for Windows, im forced to search another tool. Thank you for a great time.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You're from Germany, one of richest countries in the world, so I'm not inclined to hand out freebies in this case. Surely, even in Europe, there are many disenfranchised folks for whom $20 is in fact alot. But ask yourself how much money you spend on a weekly basis on beer, coffee, big mac meals, kebabs, video games, netflix/spotify subscriptions, etc or anything else that you could have easily cut back on. $20 might seem a like lot when comparing FileBot to cheap ad supported mobile games, but it's really really not that much for the average EU citizen. $20 is definitely not the kind of expense you'd regret (or even remember) 2-3 months down the line.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Thanks for your answer. I respect it, but you dont know me. And therefore you dont know how much or less money i have to spend.

Nevertheless thank you for your time and your service. May be, I take your advise and stretch the payment on several months. I didnt ask for a freebie. Just wanted to know if there is still a free windows version or a cheaper possibility to buy.

Thank you.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If an extra $20 make that much of a difference to your bottomline, then I'll drop you a promo code. That's fine with me. Just drop me a few lines on why it is you can't afford $20 and convince me. If you really really can't afford it, you'll get it for free.
nidur

Post by nidur »

Bought the app on windows store today, and just found out that the one computer that I need it to run on is x86, you don't happen to have that version available?

Really appreciate the app have been using it for many years.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Does Windows 10 and the Store even work on 32-bit these days? I wasn't aware that 32-bit machines are still around.

If it's a computer made in the last 10 years, then it'll probably run 64-bit Windows just fine. How come you're running 32-bit? I'd like to add that FileBot can run significantly faster on 64-bit operating systems depending on the workload.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

For future reference, here's someone that definitely deserves some free stuff, just to make up for how badly society is undervaluing his or her work:
Someone who deserves a free license wrote:I saw on another reddit post that those that work for the good of society at the cost of compensation can PM you about possibly getting a promo code for FileBot (now that it isn't free). I don't know if I qualify but I work with autistic children and last year I earned $16,000. I don't feel like that is very much money for working with a group of people that can be draining. Just last Friday I was bitten by one of my kiddos.
nidur

Post by nidur »

Yeah the store works fine on 32-bit, and the reason is I run a double VPN, vm inside a vm, and with that setup 64 bit is not supported on the second machine.

I guess its time to change my setup :)

And that setup is not about speed but functionality.