FileBot on the Windows Store

Support for Windows users
christopherhaag

Re: FileBot on the Windows Store

Post by christopherhaag »

Hey Rednoah,
I'm having an issue installing my purchased copy I bought today. Windows is showing no devices to install to. I have reached out to support, but as I wait, i'm wondering if you've seen similar instances of this?

I have confirmed i am signed in on the machine, and have tried the options here: https://www.windowscentral.com/fix-pend ... s-10-store I've also uninstalled legacy.
christopherhaag

Post by christopherhaag »

@rednoah - disregard; issue ended up being related to a soft firewall blocking connections. all resolved; thank you!
BananaRepublic

Post by BananaRepublic »

I purchased FileBot from the Microsoft Store and find that I need to register the PC I want to install it on with Microsoft. I am unable to do this due to organizational restrictions - what's the solution?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

BananaRepublic wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 14:03 I purchased FileBot from the Microsoft Store and find that I need to register the PC I want to install it on with Microsoft. I am unable to do this due to organizational restrictions - what's the solution?
That seems to be a Microsoft issue, that a 3rd party developer such as myself can't really do anything about.

There's a new release in beta which gives your more options, such as not using the Microsoft Store at all, so that might be a solution:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6006
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
BananaRepublic

Post by BananaRepublic »

Where do I get the license? I bought FileBot on the Microsoft Store and there's no mention of a license there.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Microsoft Store is completely independent of my own cross-platform license system (which is new and currently in beta). The latter is primarily intended for users who can't or don't want to use the Store for one reason or another.
BananaRepublic

Post by BananaRepublic »

So you're telling me.....? Have I just thrown £16 down the shitter?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You should be able to get a refund via Microsoft Support. You can also use your Microsoft Store purchase on any other Windows PC that you probably have that are not bound by organizational restrictions.
Tonze

Re: FileBot on the Windows Store - Where's the software?

Post by Tonze »

Ok, I've paid for the software and installed from the Windows Store, no problem.

But what happens if I need install after reinstalling Windows OS. Where do I get the software to reinstall?
I've got an order number and receipt, but no software or serial # to reinstall.
If I got to the Windows store now, I'm asked to purchase again.

Also, its not clear how many PCs I can install this software on.

Please advise,

Thanks in advance
BananaRepublic

Post by BananaRepublic »

You clearly have never tried to deal with Microsoft. I just spent 20 minutes trying to get a refund. MS are as concerned about their customers as you are. Whatever you buy with the money conned out of me I hope does you no good.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you're using the Microsoft Store, then it will remember your purchase and you can reinstall your purchase on any Microsoft device, and you can easily reinstall any software from the Store since the Store remembers what you have bought. It's the same as on Android and iOS. You obviously don't have to purchase everything again just because you get a new phone or new computer. It's quite straightforward, and you should be familiar with how it works from your phone, so I'm quite sure where the issue is here.

TL;DR You purchase software with you Microsoft account, so all your purchases are stored and remembered in your account, just like on your phone, hence there is no such thing as a license code on the Microsoft Store / Apple Store / Google Store.

As far as my custom licensing system is concerned, I have full control, so I can issue you a free 1 year license if that makes you feel better.

I cannot however invalidate or refund your Windows Store purchase, since Microsoft keeps sales data (i.e. who bought what) completely private and doesn't share it with developers, which means I can't verify your purchase other than just taking your word for it, which I'm doing here.
muggito

Post by muggito »

I am new to Filebot, and I am curious if there is a temporary or trial version available? I am only seeing options for $40 (Windows store) or through this website for $48. I do see the 1yr license for $6, but I am likely to purchase the full software once I see/experience the user-friendliness of it. I love working with new software and financially supporting the developer(s), but only when I know it will be something that I can use after reading through documentaton. I love to learn, but I typically rely on trial periods to know if it is something I *can* learn. Is there a promo code for a shortened period of time that the developer would be willing to share? P.S. I really love what I've read so far in these forums (just registered a moment ago, so I cannot send PMs yet), and until the full launch of FileBot to the Windows store... it was pretty awesome that you were giving out promo codes for people who give back. I am not a developer, nor do I have the skills to be one.... but I give blood regularly and I am an avid sewist. I have been out of work for nearly 3 years now, as I am staying home to be caretaker for my now live-in Mom; she moved in with my husband and I and has since required more fulltime care. With my spare time at home, I am able to help others in the online community by giving out daily sewing advice for new sewists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this was already addressed and I missed it, I apologize in advance.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can fully evaluate everything before purchase simply by downloading it and installing it and using it:
https://www.filebot.net/#download

The only thing that is locked is the actual renaming operation, but everything that leads up to that, such as dragging in files, matching, playing with custom formats, CLI commands, etc is free to evaluate without restriction.

That aside, I can offer you a free 1 year universal license in appreciation of your sewing skills. :ugeek:

EDIT: I'll need name / gmail for that please.
muggito

Post by muggito »

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. After making my post, my ability to private message opened up.... I sent you my information through there. Goes to show you how much I understood from what I downloaded, because I had trouble making it work. I am confident I will figure this out once I have the unlocked version side-by-side with these forums. I tend to learn by doing and reading simultaneously. Once I get a few files renamed and I understand the software better, I intend to purchase. This 1 yr license will really go a long way in giving me a chance to learn it. Thanks again for your response, kind words on my sewing skills, and especially your generosity with the 1 yr code. I am really looking forward to this. Thanks again!!
rednoah wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 04:58 You can fully evaluate everything before purchase simply by downloading it and installing it and using it:
https://www.filebot.net/#download

The only thing that is locked is the actual renaming operation, but everything that leads up to that, such as dragging in files, matching, playing with custom formats, CLI commands, etc is free to evaluate without restriction.

That aside, I can offer you a free 1 year universal license in appreciation of your sewing skills. :ugeek:

EDIT: I'll need name / gmail for that please.
vballrican
Donor

Post by vballrican »

How do i request a promo code for a previous donation? :) My filebot is 4.7 and i can't remember how to manually update it.. Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You already have the donation label here. Please PM me name + gmail so I can issue you a complimentary universal license.
letthiswork1

Post by letthiswork1 »

*Edit i managed to find a way to buy the sofware without using the stupid MS store :)

Thanks
ucliker

Post by ucliker »

On the Windows store, you have to pay $39.99 to purchase this instead of allowing the $6 per year?! I already purchased it but haven't updated in a while and now in order to update it keeps taking me to the Windows Store? Why can't I just update and move my key file?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store purchase is a one-time purchase. It'll keep working and auto-update forever. You don't need a universal license. Your Windows Store purchase will just work. The Windows Store version will also never remind you about updates, because Windows will keep it up to date automatically.

:!: If you have purchased from the Store, always install via the Store. Don't use the MSI package.

:!: If you have purchased a license via our website, always download the MSI package from our website to install FileBot. Don't use the Store.
ucliker

Post by ucliker »

Thanks, I purchased the license through the website since I was also using Linux. I found the MSI package and just reinstalled it and everything works. I forgot how amazing Filebot is especially when dealing with a lot of media files. I just wish the Arch Linux version was easier to deal with.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What's wrong with the Arch Linux version?

The new dedicated AUR package should make things easy and work out of the box:
https://github.com/arch-noob/filebot/issues/1
insideoutelephant

Post by insideoutelephant »

I started using Filebot years ago and it was easily the best tool for the job.
So good that I didn't think twice about a donation.

However life got in the way and I haven't used it in a while.
Wondering if that temporary licence is still available?

Cheers :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sure, just PM me name and email and PayPal donation confirmation:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9517
sathb

Post by sathb »

Do you do anything for veterans?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, generally not for war related services. However, if your country is not taking care of you, low income, non-free healthcare, crazy student loan, or just generally have financial difficulties at this point in time, then I am sympathetic. Just PM me name / email and then I'll get you sorted (with a 1 year complimentary license). ;)