FileBot on the Windows Store

Support for Windows users
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot on the Windows Store

Post by rednoah »

Please run filebot -version and filebot -script fn:sysinfo and post the output.

The Windows Store is an all-in-one solution. It'll take care of installation and updates and eliminates a whole class of common problems you might encounter when manually installing software.

The drag-n-drop issue sounds like you're trying to drag-n-drop data between processes running as different users, which Windows does not allow for security reasons. Are you running FileBot or Windows Explorer as Administrator?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

I had to reinstall filebot (i uninstalled it last night and cleaned the reg) and reinstalled it just now.

Version:
" FileBot 4.7.9 (r4984) / Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_131 / Windows 10 10.0 (amd64)"

Sysinfo =

Code: Select all

C:\Users\user>filebot -script fn:sysinfo
FileBot 4.7.9 (r4984)
JNA Native: 5.1.0
MediaInfo: 0.7.93
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-05-15 (r500)
Groovy: 2.4.10
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_131
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 8 Core / 3 GB Max Memory / 22 MB Used Memory
Package: MSI
Done ?(?????)?
This time I did NOT install in Program Files but into the under the C:/Filebot - and now drag and drop works.

Weird?

I try to avoid Windows Store, never bought anything on it. I'll send you $20 through paypal some time today. We'll figure out the launching from qbitorrent later, I work 11 hour days, 4 days a week and Im off to work now. :)

Thank you! Great program, it's saved me massive hours over the years renaming stuff.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If launching CMD from qBT works, and if filebot -version works in CMD, then cmd /c filebot -version will definitely work in qBT, even if you have some strange $PATH issues.

Drag-n-drop depends on inter-process-communication, so it's either Windows that's blocking that, or some other program, like misbehaving Anti-Virus tools and the likes. It's hard to say for sure.

:idea: Presumably, the Windows Store version would have fundamentally resolved both of these issues, so you would never have run into these issues in the first place.
Jujul

Post by Jujul »

leonie94 wrote:Hi,

I just found out that FileBot is not free anymore. To be honest that doesn't even surprise me since I was always wondering why FileBot has no ads and no visible way of covering its expenses.
I guess it's reasonable that FileBot turned into proprietary software and the prize is not that much. At least not compared to other tools and services.
I used FileBot for one year now and it saved so much time. Before I was working with websites and Excel sheets and some tasks took me hours that could have been done in seconds using FileBot. I value this tool so much and I fully understand that it can't be free anymore.
But sadly the prize is too much for some individuals. I just can't pay $20 at least not in the next several months.
And I don't expect to get FileBot for free while others pay for it.
But please, please offer a version with advertisement !!!
I would accept all kinds of ads as long as I can somehow continue using FileBot. I use FileBot on a 1366x768 screen and it only covers 50% of the screen. You could fill the remaining 50% with advertisement as long as it is possible to use FileBot without limitations.

I would be very glad if you could consider my suggestion.
This is a great suggestion. I use FileBot frequently and wouldn't mind advertisement aswell. I know 20€ is not much for many people but I just can't afford it at once. I live in Germany but I don't even have a data plan for my mobile or any other digital service which costs money. I'm a student and end up struggeling financially every month because I had to move out and my parents don't support me that much. They are obligated to but I just don't want to fight with them over money.

Sadly I can't offer any social work or special contribution to society but I think the suggestion from leonie94 is a good way to make FileBot available for people with less money.

Greetings
Jujul
mscreations

Post by mscreations »

I would like to ask for a promo code as well. I tried PMing you, however I only just registered. I've used FileBot for years and would like to continue to do so, however I am currently out of work for the time being after having a heart attack. I do not have excess funds to devote towards FileBot as medical costs are astronomical. I have been spending much of my time trying to learn a new skill (I'm presently a forklift mechanic) so that I can do something easier on my heart. I am an active developer for the plexupdate script and try to help out OSS whenever possible.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

PMed you a promo code.
shrad

Post by shrad »

I would like to ask for a Promo Code. PM is not working cause I registered new. I donated several months ago after the FileBot Update asked to do so. At this time I was not aware that everything is changing to Windows Store. Otherwise I would have bought the Software there instead of donating.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sure. Please PM me your donation details. It should work now that you have at least 1 post.
shrad

Post by shrad »

rednoah wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 11:02 Sure. Please PM me your donation details. It should work now that you have at least 1 post.
Message is not leaving Outbox for more than 15 minutes now....

I life in Switzerland, volunteer two times a week after work for refugees as IT Supporter, donated for Projects like Ubuntu and Kodi. A rebate would be nice. Regards Andreas
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No worries. It's just a database entry on this site, and nothing is ever really "sent" elsewhere. Outbox just means I haven't read it yet. :D

shrad wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 11:34 I life in Switzerland, volunteer two times a week after work for refugees as IT Supporter, donated for Projects like Ubuntu and Kodi.
That's very kind of you. Promo code has been sent. Check your PM.
miketheman

Post by miketheman »

Hi,

I've been a FileBot user for years and I'm quite sure I've paypal'd you a donation in the past (I only seem to be able to look back 3 years at paypal transactions.
Donation would have come from mike_the_man at hotmail.com). If you wanted to send me a promo code that would be great, though I really have no issue with paying $20 for this great software.

My media server is running Windows Home Server 2011. Will the new version run with WHS 2011? I really have no desire to update to Windows 10. My current version seems to have stopped working a few weeks ago, though I haven't spent any time troubleshooting the reason.

Thanks,
Mike
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

OK, I've found your donation of 8 EUR from 17/03/2013 in my records. PMed you a promo code.

I don't know if Microsoft has backported the Windows Store to Server 2011. Probably not. The latest Windows Server versions should have access to the Store via Desktop Experience though.
dazzlemi

Post by dazzlemi »

I have been using Filebot for years, and love it.
I recently (today) bought it on the microsoft store, but it did the same thing before.
The screen always gets corrupted (this is the only app the does it).
I'm using windows 10, creators edition, but it did the same on the previous versions of windows
It still works, but this is rather annoying
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can set the J2D_D3D environment variable to false to disable graphics acceleration.

Run this in CMD and then restart FileBot:

setx J2D_D3D false
This will work around any graphics acceleration issues.

What graphics card and graphics drivers are you using? Using the latest graphics drivers may be a solution.
dazzlemi

Post by dazzlemi »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 02:16 1.
You can set the J2D_D3D environment variable to false to disable graphics acceleration.

Run this in CMD and then restart FileBot:

setx J2D_D3D false
This will work around any graphics acceleration issues.
----- this seemed to fix my problem - how does that effect daily use, do I need to set that each time I reboot?
How does this effect any games I'm playing?

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 02:16 What graphics card and graphics drivers are you using? Using the latest graphics drivers may be a solution.

---- AMD Radeon r7 240 graphics card
Drivers.. I'm not sure, but it was updated recently
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

setx J2D_D3D false will permanently set the J2D_D3D environment variable, so you just need to set it once. It will have no effect whatsoever on any other application (unless that application is using the Java Swing GUI framework, in which case that other application will now also be free of graphics issues).
dazzlemi

Post by dazzlemi »

rednoah wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 13:43 setx J2D_D3D false will permanently set the J2D_D3D environment variable, so you just need to set it once. It will have no effect whatsoever on any other application (unless that application is using the Java Swing GUI framework).
Thanks - I wish I would have asked about this a while ago
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Feel free to ask if you encounter any other issues or come up with any ideas to make it work better for you. ;)
tommytarts

Post by tommytarts »

Hey there, love Filebot and what you've done with it. Thanks to you my entire library is completely organized and well sorted. With the move to the windows store, is it possible to get a promo code? I have been working with Android OSS for years now, and I used to contribute and maintain an older Samsung Galaxy model. Thank you if possible!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sure, can you point me to any of your commits or contributions or open-source applications?
DaVoodoo

Post by DaVoodoo »

@rednoah

I am a teacher teaching at a rural school in South Africa. I earn less than $20 000 annually. I do offer free extra lessons after school and on Saturdays to my learners.

Money is a bit tight at the moment and due to the political turmoil in my country, the Rand/Dollar exchange is not looking good at the moment. Having a son at University with ballooning costs also does not help much.

I do not know if my case is deserving but It will be much appreciated if you could grant me a promo code.

Thanks
David
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Granted. Check your PM. ;)
DaVoodoo

Post by DaVoodoo »

rednoah wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 13:33 Granted. Check your PM. ;)
Much appreciated. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this software.
FusionshadowXJ

Post by FusionshadowXJ »

So I realized that for the past week that filebot.launcher was not working properly for me. I am able to invoke filebot from cmd but not filebot.launcher as I get a command not recognized error. I have the same default PATH as usual, but I checked C:\Users\Fusio\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps and I don't actually have a filebot.launcher executable - only filebot.exe. I tried uninstalling and re-installing filebot from the Windows store but I still get the same issues.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Fusio>filebot -script fn:sysinfo
FileBot 4.7.11 (r5158)
JNA Native: 5.1.0
MediaInfo: 0.7.93
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-05-15 (r500)
Groovy: 2.4.10
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_131
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 3 GB Max Memory / 18 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX
Done ?(?????)?

C:\Users\Fusio>
Is filebot.launcher not included in the latest release... or did it get located somewhere else? Sure ain't seeing it where it's normally at.

Fusionshadow
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Microsoft has changed it's policy and allows only one command per application now. Using filebot.launcher.exe (the GUI executable) to run FileBot commands without console was always a bit of a hack anyway.

If you want to suppress CMD, then I recommend doing something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5157

This will work for any command-line tool, not just FileBot. ;)