FileBot on the Windows Store

Support for Windows users
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot on the Windows Store

Post by rednoah »

I see. Seems like an esoteric setup, so I'm not quite convinced that adding 32-bit support is worth the effort at this point. :P

If you're looking for automation, then the docker image might be worth a look.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kinghou

Post by kinghou »

How does one request a promo code? I am a social worker in a nonprofit area that would definitely qualify per your guidelines, and I work at least 20 hours per week unpaid. Been using FileBot for years and can't justify the cost for full price option. Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can post a few lines describing your circumstances (please include average income and home country) and then I'll PM you a code.
leonie94

Post by leonie94 »

Hi,

I just found out that FileBot is not free anymore. To be honest that doesn't even surprise me since I was always wondering why FileBot has no ads and no visible way of covering its expenses.
I guess it's reasonable that FileBot turned into proprietary software and the prize is not that much. At least not compared to other tools and services.
I used FileBot for one year now and it saved so much time. Before I was working with websites and Excel sheets and some tasks took me hours that could have been done in seconds using FileBot. I value this tool so much and I fully understand that it can't be free anymore.
But sadly the prize is too much for some individuals. I just can't pay $20 at least not in the next several months.
And I don't expect to get FileBot for free while others pay for it.
But please, please offer a version with advertisement !!!
I would accept all kinds of ads as long as I can somehow continue using FileBot. I use FileBot on a 1366x768 screen and it only covers 50% of the screen. You could fill the remaining 50% with advertisement as long as it is possible to use FileBot without limitations.

I would be very glad if you could consider my suggestion.
kinghou

Post by kinghou »

rednoah wrote:You can post a few lines describing your circumstances (please include average income and home country) and then I'll PM you a code.
I live in the US, in the state of Louisiana. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) currently working on my Doctorate in Health Administration. I also have an undergraduate degree in Social Work. I have worked in nonprofits my entire adult life and took on $40,000 in student loan debt for the credentials I needed to practice in this helping profession. Despite my credentials, pay in nonprofits (especially in Louisiana) is abysmal. LMSWs at our organization make less than $30,000 annually. I am also supporting my wife as she is a nonprofit professional as well and has been on the job search for 8 months. The social services/nonprofit landscape in New Orleans is nearly non-existent right now due to lack of funding.

I run a day program in New Orleans for disabled seniors and medically-fragile adults with disabilities and chronic comorbid or mental health conditions. The federal and state governments are constantly slashing our funding; staff are always leaving for better pay in the for-profit sector. As the director, I am constantly working for free to keep the program afloat. Our program sustains around 100 elderly and vulnerable adult participants per year and keeps them out of nursing homes and institutionalized care for mental illness. We also provide respite for family caregivers so that they are able to continue working, going to school, etc. Thanks for considering my story, and I will donate in the future as I am able.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thank you for your service! I've PMed you a code.
kinghou

Post by kinghou »

rednoah wrote:Thank you for your service! I've PMed you a code.
Thank you so much!
rspierenburg

Post by rspierenburg »

Just purchased the latest version on the App store. Just curious about getting the filebot.launcher to work with AMC. I can get the standard filebot to work but it doesn't seem to recognize filebot.launcher for some reason.

Thanks,
Rob
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please run filebot -script fn:sysinfo and post the output.

Windows Store apps are always in the %PATH% for your user by default. Did you modify the %PATH% on your machine?
rspierenburg

Post by rspierenburg »

I haven't changed anything in the %PATH%

Here is the output:

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.7.8 (r4842)
JNA Native: 5.1.0
MediaInfo: 0.7.92.1
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-03-24 (r490)
Groovy: 2.4.8
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_121
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 3 GB Max Memory / 17 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX
Data: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\FileBot
Done ?(?????)?
And here is the AMC Script I'm using, in case I have it setup incorrectly.

filebot.launcher -script fn:amc --output "D:/Media" --action copy --conflict skip -non-strict --log-file amc.log --def unsorted=y music=y artwork=n "ut_label=%L" "ut_state=%S" "ut_title=%N" "ut_kind=%K" "ut_file=%F" "ut_dir=%D"
Thanks for the quick response.
Rob
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Looks like it's working just fine. What makes you believe filebot.launcher is not working? What does the amc.log say?

I recommend using absolute paths so you know where the logs end up so that you can check them:

--log-file D:/Media/amc.log
rspierenburg

Post by rspierenburg »

So I set the log to an absolute path as you mentioned and just as suspected there was no log produced. Utorrent doesn't run filebot.launcher, but it will run filebot perfectly. Is there an extension I need to add to the end of filebot.launcher? .exe perhaps?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Maybe. What happens if you try? What happens if you call filebot.launcher on the command-line yourself? How about filebot.launcher.exe?

The command-line *.exe files are here:

C:\Users\${USER}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
This folder should be in the %PATH% by default. In that folder you'll find filebot.launcher.exe so calling it with or without *.exe should not matter according to my understanding of how Windows CMD works.
rspierenburg

Post by rspierenburg »

So yeah, I checked out everything you said and it all seems fine. I finally did try adding .exe at the end and it worked. I'm not sure why it doesn't work without it, it did with earlier versions. So to recap here is the full script that works:

filebot.launcher.exe -script fn:amc --output "D:/Media" --action copy --conflict skip -non-strict --log-file D:\Media\amc.log --def unsorted=y music=y artwork=n "ut_label=%L" "ut_state=%S" "ut_title=%N" "ut_kind=%K" "ut_file=%F" "ut_dir=%D"
Thanks for all your help, this program is worth every penny if you ask me.

Robert
ThermalSloth

Post by ThermalSloth »

rednoah wrote:The Windows Store will make sure that these things are added to the path.

Commands like "filebot" and "filebot.launcher" will just work. If you're not using a system call (%PATH% is ignored) to call filebot and not CMD or PowerShell, you may need explicitly have cmd do the call.

e.g.

cmd /c filebot -version
I must be the exception to the rule, then.
The Windows Store isn't adding these shortcuts, I have to use the full path to the executable.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please also run this command with PowerShell and post the output:

echo $ENV:PATH
On a clean Windows 10 install, there will be a WindowsApps folder in the %PATH% which is where the Windows Store will link command-line tools.
ThermalSloth

Post by ThermalSloth »

PS C:\Users\Joey> echo $ENV:PATH
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\3.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\3.0\bin\x64;D:\development\xampp\php;C:\ProgramData\ComposerSetup\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Plantronics\Spokes3G\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Plantronics\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Plantronics\MyHeadsetUpdater\;C:\Users\Joey\AppData\Roaming\npm;%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;

"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps"
is in my PATH, and when I go to that folder I am finding "filebot.exe" and "filebot.launcher.exe" there (which work fine)

But when I enter "filebot", "filebot.exe", "filebot.launcher", or "filebot.launcher.exe" it's telling me there's nothing there.

PS C:\Users\Joey> filebot
filebot : The term 'filebot' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ filebot
+ ~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (filebot:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Joey> filebot.exe
filebot.exe : The term 'filebot.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ filebot.exe
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (filebot.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Joey> filebot.launcher
filebot.launcher : The term 'filebot.launcher' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ filebot.launcher
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (filebot.launcher:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Joey> filebot.launcher.exe
filebot.launcher.exe : The term 'filebot.launcher.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ filebot.launcher.exe
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (filebot.launcher.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
It's an odd isue, and if I type out "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\filebot.exe" it works fine. I'm not sure what the issue might be, I did restart after reinstalling and I'm on the latest W10 x64 version so that should be ruled out.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

One of the tools you installed broke the %PATH% by double escaping % when adding itself. When running echo $ENV:PATH variables such as %USERPROFILE% should not be in the output.

change:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
to:

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
You can use %USERPROFILE% in the "Edit Environment Variable" dialog in the Windows settings, but when using %PATH% it should always appear in it's resolved form.

EDIT:

If we cross-reference your PATH with pjac's PATH we can narrowed down the culprit.

Here's what you guys have in common:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\
C:\Program Files\nodejs\
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
Microsoft devs know what they're doing, so let's ignore the Microsoft tools:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath
C:\Program Files\nodejs\
Either the Java installer or the NodeJS installer fucked up your PATH. My money is on NodeJS.
ThermalSloth

Post by ThermalSloth »

rednoah wrote:When running echo $ENV:PATH variables such as %USERPROFILE% should not be in the output.

[...]

You can use %USERPROFILE% in the "Edit Environment Variable" dialog in the Windows settings, but when using %PATH% it should always appear in it's resolved form.

[...]

Either the Java installer or the NodeJS installer fucked up your PATH. My money is on NodeJS.
Cheers man, I didn't think of that.
I'll look at fixing that somehow when I'm home again.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've tried the latest version of the NodeJS installer for Windows. The latest version seems to behave itself. Not sure if an older installer of Node JS messed things up, or if it was a different installer entirely.
ZoeysMom

Post by ZoeysMom »

HI. I'm posting in hopes that I can request a free promo code thru this thread. I know your post says to PM you but apparently I am not allowed to compose a message. I have donated twice in the past for a total of $40. The first $20 because I loved using FileBot and totally depend on it and a second $20 because I recommended it to a few friends and I wasn't sure if they would feel inclined to donate themselves. I might also mention that I contribute to my community by volunteering at the local women's shelter and I provide free babysitting services for other single moms who can't afford childcare. I also regularly donate to the local fire dept. If there is anything else I can do to drown myself in you good graces, just say the word. Please and Thank you. FYI...for the last few months (since I haven't been able to use FileBot) I have been using an app called theRenamer...I absolutely HATE it. It's straight up junk. Please have mercy on me and don't make me continue to use it...I have a tendency to burst into uncontrollable fits of rage every time I open that stupid app.

Peace and Love
ZoeysMom
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've PMed you a promo code. You clearly deserve one... and could have just asked for one months ago... ;)
smolvik

Post by smolvik »

Perhaps a very stupid question. Just purchased on the Windows store. After purchasing a possibility came up to "own forever" (or something very similitude) for the exact same price. Does this mean I don't own the program "forever" already, i.e a clean win10 re-install would force me to purchase again?

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Not sure what you mean... the Windows Store does not support anything other than lifetime licenses at this point.

You purchase apps with your Microsoft Account, so Microsoft will remember your purchase forever. As long as you log in with your Microsoft Account, you can always restore your purchases on any Windows computer any time.
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

Hi, Ive been using filebot for a few years, and had it working nicely with qbitorrent. I guess a few months ago it stopped working (launching after torrent completion). I didnt change anything at that point.

I use windows 10 and 64 bit java, filebot, and qbitorrent. Everything is up to date.

I tried and tried over the past month to get filebot to launch from qbitorrent and it just wont. notepad test launches fine. The few cmdline things I try work fine.

As of the other day I got the latest filebot and now I cant even drag and drop a file into it, I get a circle with line through it. It's become quite the pain in the rear to even get it working at all. (I can rename a file if I use filebot interface and drill down through all the folder directories and select the file. Cant drag and drop, and wont launch from qbitorrent. (Ive read through every part of the forum already regarding this, and I had this working fine on quite a few computers in the past (win 7, 8 , and 10)

Did java break filebot or a windows update in your opinion?

Or do I have to buy this from Windows store to get a working program? I have no problem paying for it as long as it works as it used to. I actually feel bad for not donating previously and used it for a long time so paying is worth it, long as it will work.

Opinion?