subtitles not always showing correct letters

Support for Windows users
pietpara

subtitles not always showing correct letters

Post by pietpara »

Hi,

I have been coping with an issue for a while now that boggles me. It is that when I download subtitles, through the amc script run from utorrent, the subs it gets (mostly spanish with accents on letters, like á,é,í,ó) show fine when playing movies from my Synology NAS on my PCs and in Kodi.
However, on my LG Smart TV using built in movie player, I have the following symptom:

If I download using one PC, the subs show fine but when I do this with another PC the "odd" characters are not showing fine.
Something with the encoding to UTF-8, I guess. But on both PCs I have the same version of Filebot and utorrent.
So, I don´t know what I can do to fix it.
If I use a Plex cleint for LG TVs, the subs show fine, only when I choose transcoding option, but since it runs form NAS, the movie does not play very smooth.

Is there a way to re-encode subs to UTF-8 again after download, through the command line placed in utorrent?
I noticed that when I open the sub in Notepad++ and save again as UTF-8 it solves the issue.

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: subtitles not always showing correct letters

Post by rednoah »

When downloading subtitles, FileBot will automatically convert any format / encoding to SRT / UTF-8.

Your LG Smart TV probably probably just doesn't default to UTF-8 (which is stupid) when dealing with text files. In the Windows world it's common to add a UTF-8 BOM to mark files as UTF-8 encoded text files. This is probably what happens when you save UTF-8 (without BOM) as UTF-8 (with BOM).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.