Copying, not Moving Files

Support for Windows users
zandroid

Copying, not Moving Files

Post by zandroid »

I just installed the latest update to 4.7.5 this afternoon. I have the paid version. What happens is that I go to rename files and, while it renames and copies them to the correct directories, it also doesn't delete the original files. I have to delete them manually myself.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I do have Java 64-bit and the option in Rename Options is set to Rename, not Copy.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Copying, not Moving Files

Post by rednoah »

So FileBot thinks it's moving the files? But somehow the files FileBot thinks have been moved are still in the original location?

Media files should be moved, and left behind empty folders are deleted. However, if there are companion files like *.nfo, *.txt, etc then FileBot will not touch those.

Have you tried restarting your machine just to make sure Windows Explorer isn't caching outdated information? Are source and destination files on the same drive or network share?

If you use FileBot (console) to start FileBot, does that make a difference? Does the console display any errors?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
mihawk90
Power User

Post by mihawk90 »

Additionally to the above, check that you have write access on the input folder, in case filebot is running on a different user then the user that created the files. When moving across devices Windows copies the files to the new location then deletes the old one, which would fail if the user executing doesn't have write permissions.
zandroid

Post by zandroid »

Reviving this. I have the newest version of the Windows 10 app, just downloaded and installed. I've been using the old non-app version, but I wanted to try this again.

I've confirmed that the files that stay behind are actual working files and not cached names that aren't really there. The files aren't on the same drive because I use a few different drives depending on what kind of media (movies, music, television) it is. I've tried starting up as an administer and it won't even let me drag files onto the program.

As far as write access, I should have all the write permissions I need. As I said, the old .exe file from the version before the new app works just fine.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks for the post! Before a real human comes by, please make sure your report has all the following points checked:
  • What are you trying to do achieve? What's not working? What have you tried so far?
  • Include screenshots, logs or filenames (i.e. demonstrate the issue)
  • Include basic information (i.e. sysinfo output)
:idea: Please read How to Request Help and Fix Problems, Report Bugs, Get Features
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.