Delete Duplicate Titles

Support for Windows users
marjamar

Delete Duplicate Titles

Post by marjamar »

I know there must be a method to auto or semi-auto delete duplicate file titles from my source directory after conversion is completed. Don't need anything fancy, just an easy way to delete ALL duplicates found after converting file names using BileBot. Right now all I see is a popup telling me it will leave duplicates unchanged, which doesn't really help me.

BTW I have thousands of files from many years of OTA recordings I've done and these are all part to my PLEX based home theater.

Thanks.

-Rodger
rednoah
The Source

Re: Delete Duplicate Titles

Post by rednoah »

When you say "duplicate" what exactly do you mean? Please explain your use case and don't refrain from giving specific examples.

The duplicates script may (or may not) be what you're looking for:

:arrow: Find Duplicate Movie or Episode Files
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
marjamar

Post by marjamar »

rednoah wrote:When you say "duplicate" what exactly do you mean? Please explain your use case and don't refrain from giving specific examples.

The duplicates script may (or may not) be what you're looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5#p23171
Duplicate -- More then a single title with the same series name, season, episode, title. What has happened over the time I've been doing recordings is different formats have been used for the actual file name for a show. Using FileBot, I can pretty well get the actual title names fixed to what they should be, but when the conversion produces duplicate tiles for the file names (because a show, season, episode was recorded more then once), I still have those duplicate files on my source drive where they are kept.

I am not moving files, just renaming them to the proper names based on thetvdb.com's findings. So, after I press the rename button, I am presented with a popup that tells me the duplicate files will not be renamed. This just leaves these duplicate files as they were, so I have to manually delete them, which is a manual operation, not an automatic one.

Seems to me there would be a option to delete all but one of the duplicate files, but I do not find one.

-Rodger
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Organize all your files into a proper file structure by using a format such as this:

Code: Select all

{home}/Media/{plex}
In this structure, duplicates are not possible because you can only have 1 file per 1 unique file path. Anything left in the original location can then be deleted manually in one go later on.
peterson

Post by peterson »

Why don't you try Duplicate Files Deleter? It will do a thorough search of your hard disk and find out the two or more duplicate files of the same file which may be stored at different locations. It will give you a comprehensive list of all those files and you can decide for yourself what you want to do with them. It's easy to use. Hope it will help you.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »