Open mapped network drive stopped working after upgrading to Win 10

Support for Windows users
siamorphe

Open mapped network drive stopped working after upgrading to Win 10

Post by siamorphe »

Hi,

I just recently upgraded to a new notebook with Windows 10. Prior to that if was using Windows 7.
In my network I am using a QNAP NAS which provides the storage for my tv programs.

The drives are mapped as a normal network drive with a simple netuse statement.

Whilst using Windows 7 I could easyily drag and drop the files from the windows explorer into the filebot windows to scrape and rename them.
Now with windows 10 no files appear, and even opening the network drive manually via the load button in filebot just shows me an empty network drive. If I open the same network drive with the windows explorer its fine.

I already tried using the netuse statement from the account with which I am logging in (instead of runnining it at startup) - no effect.

I really love filebot but I don't want to rename the files on my local drive. They go straight to the nas and get renamed there.

What can I do?

Regards
rednoah
The Source

Re: Open mapped network drive stopped working after upgrading to Win 10

Post by rednoah »

Could be anything. I'd try Google and hope for the best.

I'd start by asking myself the usual questions:

* Does it work with other tools or on other computers?
* Do other network shares on other computers work?
* Does it work if I change network settings randomly? (e.g. SMB protocol)
* If hostname doesn't work, does IP work?
* If M:\mapped\drive doesn't work, does \\server\share\path work?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
siamorphe

Post by siamorphe »

Well since Filebot is the only application that can't work with that directoy I can cross that out.
IP Adress didn't fix it either.

What network settings should I change to make a difference? The drive works everywhere except for filebot in Windows 10.

And for the last suggestion: I can't choose how Filebot opens the path (M:\xxxx or \\xxx\\xxx). There is the load button or the drag and drop function. The file explorer opend by the load button doesn't give me the opportunity to enter a path manually.

I think it might be a problem with user privileges in Windows 10. Running filebot as administrator doesn't solve the problem - tried that.

Wondering: Does the appstore Filebot app work any different than the usual client did?
When I upgraded to Win10 I just went for the appstore one since I didn't mind paying for this great tool..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sure, I'd try the classic installer if the UWP version doesn't work, and vice versa. FileBot itself is the same, but Windows will run it in a different way, so it might make a difference.
siamorphe

Post by siamorphe »

So I tried the classic installer and it works just fine on Windows 10 - even with my smb shares.
Searched this forum again and turns out there are several cases of this issue with no real solution.

Are you sure it's not a general problem with the windows 10 app?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It works for most. If there's a general problem, then it's one that only Microsoft can fix. As far as FileBot is concerned, there is no difference between local or remote files.
siamorphe

Post by siamorphe »

So will you stop distributing updates for the classic version eventually (since I understand the Windows App Store version helps you continue working on this project)?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Maybe eventually, but not anytime soon, because there's still plenty of people using Windows 7 and 8.
thegeeav

Post by thegeeav »

i have this exact same problem. I'm pretty annoyed that i have paid for the software that doesn't work as it did before. Can you advise how to get this working, i would imagine that there is a large number of users storing media on network drives.
Everything worked fine on the old version and windows allows me to navigate my network drives just fine.
Is there an option to install the new software as a normal application and not use the windows app version? Clearly this is a problem with the windows app.

If not how do i get a refund?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It's a Windows authentication issue. As far as I know it only affects users that have never used their Microsoft account to log into Windows. Logging in with your Microsoft account seems to change your account signature which causes permission issues when accessing network shares that have been mapped with your previous account signature.

Have you tried this?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4881
rednoah wrote:Here's a few hints on how to figure out permission issues on Windows.

Code: Select all

FileSystemException: An unexpected network error occurred
Have you tried this?
  • Restart your computer
  • Restart your NAS
  • Unmap and Map your network shares again
  • Use UNC paths if mapped network shares don't work
  • Use mapped network shares if UNC paths don't work
  • Use the IP if the HOSTNAME doesn't work
  • Use the HOSTNAME if the IP doesn't work
  • Try a different share on a different NAS to see if that works

:idea: Mapping the drive again after logging into the Store resolves the problem.

:idea: You can ask Microsoft for a refund. Unfortunately, I cannot.
thegeeav

Post by thegeeav »

i think you're right about the signature. i log onto my windows with a local account and not my MS account.
Everything you have suggested has not helped. It used to work fine as a stand alone app. I wish you guys hadn't changed it. :(

MS has refunded me the cost of the app. I would happily donate that amount if you can give me a stand alone version. Otherwise it looks like i'm searching for another re-naming solution :(
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've PMed you.
antarius1982

Post by antarius1982 »

HEllo I have the exact same problem here.
Every time I use the windows store version of filebot it disconnect my map network drive just after the operation of HARDLINK and therefore makes write to log file impossible and corrupt all other software dataflow (my qbitorrent is also writing to this share)

would it be possible to get the normal version like the previous request ? (I'd be glad to send you money as well via paypal for that)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Does SMB have hardlink support?

I'd be surprised if hardlinks work at all from Windows on a remote SMB share... Did it ever work in the past?