Network drives not working after logging into the Windows Store

Support for Windows users
rednoah
The Source

Network drives not working after logging into the Windows Store

Post by rednoah »

Logging into the Windows Store for the first time seems to reset the network credentials cache. After installing FileBot from the Store you may need to add your network drives again and restart your computer.
Jonathan wrote:I'll run you through exactly what happened.

Logged onto the Windows Store for the first time and had to enter my windows account. (I suspect this did something to my Windows 10 logon, because a while afterwards my mapped drives to my NAS disconnected due to incorrect log in credentials. Which were using my windows account to log in)

I installed FileBot off the windows store, tried to use it. I couldn't find network locations or drag files from the mapped drives (which were working at the time) into FileBot.

I then uninstalled the windows store FileBot.

I then installed FileBot standalone and it could see the networked drives but had Java errors when I tried to rename files. I installed the latest JRE. By this time the mapped drives had complained about credentials. I tried to update the credentials but windows was being fickle so I restarted. Upon restarting I entered the correct credentails to connect to the mapped drives and that was working again.

With the new JRE, FileBot standalone worked as expected.

I then reinstalled FileBot off the Windows Store along side the Standalone version and it also now worked.

So all I can think of is maybe it had something to do with the following:

1. First sign in into Windows Store may update Windows 10 log in credentials with your Microsoft account. Then causes mapped drives to become stale due to incorrect log in credentials? Window explorer still worked for a while though, it was certainly perculiar

2. installing JRE

3. Resetting my machine (but note at this point only Standalone was installed)

4. Having standalone installed prior to the Windows Store version. Although as you mentioned, Windows Store has its own JRE and doesn't rely on standalone, so it is looking like the first sign in into Windows Store may have been my issue.

This was everything that occurred between it not working and it working. I hope there are some clues in there if anyone else has the same issue.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.