Launch Error: Cannot Create File When it Already Exists

Support for Windows users
Vanarchy

Launch Error: Cannot Create File When it Already Exists

Post by Vanarchy »

I bought the Windows 10 app and it gives an error when trying to launch. Screenshot: https://netshark.us/filebot/filebotlauncherror.jpg

The sourceforge filebot before this ran ok with drag and drop things but wouldnt launch from qbitorrent anymore, it just stopped working a few months back, after messing with it for months I decided to get the Win 10 version hoping it would be the fix I needed. Nope.

Ive uninstalled the old version, ran Ccleaner, rebooted, installed new filebot, rebooted - numerous times and still getting error.

I tried to launch from cmdline but it says :
C:\Users\user>filebot
The system cannot execute the specified program.

Everything up to date 64 bit. Win 10, java, etc. Im logged in as an admin I would think, since I set this machine up as admin default a very long time ago and never had problems with filebot before.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thank you!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Launch Error: Cannot Create File When it Already Exists

Post by rednoah »

Vanarchy wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 11:31 Everything up to date 64 bit. Win 10, java, etc. Im logged in as an admin I would think, since I set this machine up as admin default a very long time ago and never had problems with filebot before.
Are you logged in with a proper Microsoft account? Instead of a local user account? Do you have a second Windows 10 machine that you could try this on as well? Maybe some Anti-Virus program interfering with things?

Seems to be an odd Windows Store issue though. Are you using Creators Update with all the latest updates? Please report the issue to Microsoft support as well.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

Creators Content and this morning there was a small update I installed too, but no change.
I had originally installed under local admin acct, so uninstalled, Ccleaner again, rebooted, then logged in with MS account, reinstalled, still same error.

This is weird.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Do you have access to a clean install of Windows 10 to see if you can reproduce the problem somehow by installing all your extra software step by step to see if any of those breaks things? It definitely works for most people, and it definitely works for a clean install. We need to narrow down what's different on your machine.
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

I do, but there are so many programs, games, Plex, etc......That it would be a very long process to get everything back like it's supposed to be.

I may just do that but not just yet.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Most programs are just taking up space on your disk and couldn't possibly interfere, especially not when they're not running. Software that hooks into the OS and always running are prime suspects, e.g. anti-virus, malware scanner, graphics drivers, filesystem drivers, etc.
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

I get it. But Im thinking a total reformat and clean install. All the stuff I have will go bye bye and take a long time to put back. I dont have any antivirus or firewall. I do have a portable malware scanner not loaded in memory. Although graphics driver could be an issue but it's a R390x with newest drivers and everything else seems fine.

I'll play around the next couple days and give an update on whats happening. Im determined to get this running again like it used to.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Best to report the issue to Microsoft first then. Maybe there's a known workaround for this particular issue.

EDIT:

I created a thread in the MSDN forums here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... =wpdevelop
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

Ahh, thank you very much! I'll keep an eye on the thread too. I'll have a few days off starting Thursday and think we'll get this figured out before long. I'll also try installing it on another machine tomorrow morning and see what happens.
Vanarchy

Post by Vanarchy »

Filebot installed and launched fine on a different Win 10 machine in the house (except of course the 4k scaling thing we figured out before). This computer is Anniversary Update edition. The problem machine has Creators update but I dont think it matters.

I have a feeling the problematic rig has corruption in the user profile, folder permissions, registries, or something that is unlikely to be fixed easily and not worth anymore time.

So, this is a good excuse to do a fresh complete format/reinstall and Im positive all will be working just fine again. Ive used this program for years on multiple machines in the house in the past.

Lets chalk this up as anomalous user error ! :-D (thanks for your help!)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Alright! This one is definitely a strange one though. Thanks for your understanding.

The lack of 4K support sure is a thorn in my eye as well. Looks like Java 9 will be delayed until end of September, a long wait, but full 4K support is just around the corner, this year anyway.

EDIT:
Barry Wang wrote:According to your description, I think you may need to ask your customer check Event Viewer and try to find out some useful error information especially whether duplicate file already exists.
Did you have a look at Event Viewer and see if there's anything interesting there?
infpwriter

Post by infpwriter »

Just "upgraded" to the latest Filebot. Having the exact same problem. Very disappointing.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This seems to be a rare Windows Store issue, that has nothing to do with FileBot specifically and can't be fixed by me.

A factory reset of Windows will almost certainly fix the problem. I don't know the cause, but there's a good chance you have some kind of rogue anti-virus / firewall / etc software that interferes with Windows in odd an unexpected ways. ZoneAlarm is known to break the Windows Store installation process.

You're also encouraged to follow this thread and see if any of the suggestions above, such as checking the Event Viewer, yield information that can help us figure out and fix the problem.
themummer

Post by themummer »

If this issue can not be repaired by you, then you need to provide a refund for anyone who is experiencing this issue. How do I contact your company directly to get a refund, because if you can't/wont fix the issue then your app is basically worthless.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

A factory reset of Windows will almost certainly fix the problem.

If you are unwilling or unable to reset your broken install of Windows, then you can apply for a refund with Microsoft. I can neither help you to get a refund, nor stop you from getting a refund. It's completely up to Microsoft.