FileBot will not rename files (with very very long file paths)

Support for Windows users
SWSquall

FileBot will not rename files (with very very long file paths)

Post by SWSquall »

I purchased FileBot today on the Windows Store after having used it for many months getting my Plex server in order. After uninstalling the previous version and installing the Store version, I have not been able to rename any files. I put the files into the GUI as normal, and then Fetch Data. After I hit Rename and Validate Ilegal Characters, the Illegal Character window disappears, but the files do not rename. I do not get an error window or any other notifications. My log file and GroovyPad output is attached here.

Log File:
https://pastebin.com/raw/6YsqXTp9

GroovyPad output:
https://pastebin.com/raw/Egg0YhgK

Any help would be appreciated.
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot will not rename files.

Post by rednoah »

When clicking away the Validate Illegal Characters dialog, which button did you click? Please include a screenshot.

Are the files on a local filesystem, or on a remote NAS? Have you tried with a few examples files to narrow down the issue? I'd try a local file, e.g. "C:/Test/Avatar.avi" with a simple format such as {ny} and see if that works.

This issue does not sound like it has been reported before. If something doesn't work, there would be an error, and no nothing. Very strange. Have you tried this on a clean Windows 10 machine to narrow down the issue? It's probably something that only happens on your particular machine for some reason.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
SWSquall

Re: FileBot will not rename files.

Post by SWSquall »

After some more testing after I posted this, I appear to have fixed the issue, it looks like the issue might have been due to the folder paths being too long. I was able to rename files after I moved the sub-folders out of the parent folder for the series. Thank you for your quick response time.
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot will not rename files (with very very long file paths)

Post by rednoah »

Strange. NTFS should allow paths up to 4*1024 characters and individual path components should be limited to 256 characters (among other things, FileBot will help you enforce this one via the validation dialog).

* Can you run a few tests and figure out exactly what limits Windows 10 imposes on your machine?
* Are we talking about local files on an NTFS filesystem, or a remote file system on a NAS? Does it make a difference?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
piercerob

Re: FileBot will not rename files (with very very long file paths)

Post by piercerob »

"it looks like the issue might have been due to the folder paths being too long" Faced same issue. long path tool is best solution for this.