AcoustID takes a long time for 0.5 TB of music

Support for Windows users
Greenblood

AcoustID takes a long time for 0.5 TB of music

Post by Greenblood »

Hi, new to fb. I am using it to assess the contents of half a tb of music files and it been working for 24h so far...is that in line with expectations? It design seem to have frozen or crashed, the spiny thing is spinning. How long would you expect it to take? I don't want to restart if all is well lol.

Cheers,

Steve
rednoah
The Source

Re: How long?

Post by rednoah »

If you're using AcoustID then you're limited to 3 search requests per second, i.e. maximum speed is 3 music files per second. Additionally, computing the acoustic fingerprint requires the entire file content, so FileBot will transfer at least 0.5 TB of data.

I highly recommend using ID3 Tags which will be infinitely faster because it doesn't require external web services. Reading ID3 Tags is also much quicker than computing the acoustic fingerprints because it won't need to transfer the entire file content, just a few bits and bytes at the beginning.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Greenblood

Re: AcoustID takes a long time for 0.5 TB of music

Post by Greenblood »

Thanks for that, I have cancelled the job and swapped as you suggest. Maybe there should be a warning pop up on selection of AcoustID as it's slow?

Many thanks,

Steve
rednoah
The Source

Re: AcoustID takes a long time for 0.5 TB of music

Post by rednoah »

Most of what FileBot does is comparing local file to online databases (TheMovieDB, TheTVDB, AcoustID, etc) so by default any database is expected to be very slow because checking the internet will always be multiple magnitudes slower than reading tags from a local file.

I may add a warning if this turns out to be a common problem that many users face.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.