Msg says "FileBot is currently not available in your account"

Support for Windows users
wdpcpa

Msg says "FileBot is currently not available in your account"

Post by wdpcpa »

When I click the Filebot icon on my taskbar I get the following message:

FileBot is currently not available in your account. Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x803F8001 See in Store. When I click the "See in Store" link I get...

Not sure if that image shows up but the screen basically says that the software is installed. I purchased this not long ago.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Msg says "FileBot is currently not available in your account"

Post by rednoah »

This seems to be a Microsoft Store issue.

Please have a look at the links at the end of this thread and see if any of the advice there works for you:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5549
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
wdpcpa

Post by wdpcpa »

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried them all. Unfortunately, my computer (which is new) can't link to the microsoft store. Lenovo says software is not their problem even though they sold me the operating system but would help me for a $200 a year software fee. Microsoft seems to no longer have phone support without a special fee. Nothing seems to help. I may re-image with a usb stick Lenovo is sending but I am not sure that will do anything either.

If you ever find a way to sell a stand alone version I will be the first in line. It was great software.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That doesn't make sense to me. The Microsoft Store is a basic Windows feature, and should be part of every Windows machine. It makes no sense for Lenovo to charge money for supporting the Windows operating system running on your machine that just so happens to be made by Lenovo.

What operating system are you using? What computer model are you using?
wdpcpa

Post by wdpcpa »

ThinkCentre M910z
● Intel Core i5-7500 Processor ( 6M Cache , 3.4GHz )
● Windows 10 Pro 64
● Windows 10 Pro 64 English

Yes. Doesn't make much sense. I should have bought the apple product.

Anyway - we know it isn't the software.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I'm not sure what Lenovo does to mess with Windows, but a clean install of the latest Windows 10 without installing any software that Lenovo might provide should make sure that things just work out of the box.

This is a strange one though. An issue such as this has not been reported before so I have no solution here other than resetting everything and reinstalling Windows 10 clean and pristine.
wdpcpa

Post by wdpcpa »

So very odd. When I asked for a refund this got escalated. And then I got a solution.

The pin is on the chipset. When they change out the system board they remove the pin. The tech says he doesn't know how to restore functionality and to just sign on with the password. What he didn't tell me was that this breaks the link to the microsoft store which is still looking for the pin. One has to go into setting and remove the pin. Then restart. Then add the pin again. When that happens Cortana stops with the annoying message that there is something wrong with my account. And magically, I was able to reinstall filebox.

What is really annoying is that Lenovo could have helped me with this without having to escalate. They knew the answer. They just have this policy to not help with anything Microsoft - although they sell Microsoft. The operating system is the engine of the computer. The definition of "large paper weight" is "a computer without an operating system". It would be liking buying a new Toyota and taking it back for warranty work and getting a "I'm sorry - your warranty doesn't cover engine trouble."

It has been nice chatting with you. Thank you for taking the time.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Still not quite sure I understand the solution. So you had to change your Microsoft account password and PIN and then log in and log out and then it magically worked again?
wdpcpa

Post by wdpcpa »

You have to delete the pin number, not change it. The pin is on the chipset. So when they change the system board they removed the pin. But the software doesn't know that. It is still on the hard drive. So you have to delete the pin. Then when you add it again the software and the system board are in sync. In the meantime, the store was still trying to use it and it wasn't available to be used.

The tip off was when the tech changed the system board and then tried to sign in with the pin. And it can't be done.

You would have thought that being on site to fix the computer he would have fixed the pin issue at the same time. It is IBM that does the service for Lenovo.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see, so there's some sort of security module built into the hardware and Windows is making use of that for secure authentication, invalidating previously generated security tokens, if the hardware changes, for example in the case of a stolen hard drive.

I didn't know about that. It's very interesting. Thanks for sharing your solution.