DNS Timeouts Behind PrivateInternetAccess VPN

Support for Windows users
lothian

DNS Timeouts Behind PrivateInternetAccess VPN

Post by lothian »

I used to be able to do this but in the last couple of days all attempts have failed. I am running behind a PrivateInternetAccess VPN with the DNS leak and VPN Kill options enabled on Windows 10. I seem to have full Internet access for all other purposes, but FileBot just spins when I try to rename a file. When I l look into the events, I get events saying "Name resolution for the name app.filebot.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." When I disable the VPN, then I can connect and rename. Are there any secrets to running behind a VPN, or behind PrivateInternetAccess specifically?
rednoah
The Source

Re: DNS Timeouts Behind PrivateInternetAccess VPN

Post by rednoah »

Not that I can think of. DNS resolution is handled by the operating system. The server app.filebot.net should resolve to the nearest CloudFlare Edge server.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
user1123

Post by user1123 »

I have PIA running at router level. Filebot no longer works, and filebot.net is inaccessible (server not found). Posting from mobile phone right now.

Filebot.net is inaccessible on all linux and android devices (all browsers) connected to the router.

I'm connected to the "midwest" PIA server with IP 173.239.240.66 near Chicago.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You might need to contact the PIA customer support and ask them. Sounds like something (i.e. DNS) is broken on their end.
user1123

Post by user1123 »

Switching to the Toronto PIA server allows me to access the website. I think the most likely culprit is filebot's cloudflare account has flagged/banned certain IPs used by PIA, but I could be wrong. Perhaps you could check with cloudflare, rednoah?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That is a likely explanation. But I can't "check" with CloudFlare. I can just send them an email, same as you. The will probably ask what your outgoing IP is. ;)