Create a Separate Text File on File Rename

Support for Windows users
bulls23ant

Create a Separate Text File on File Rename

Post by bulls23ant »

Hello,

I was hoping to get help with something I'm trying to accomplish. I want to create a text file anytime I rename a file, this text file would contain the original filename and the new filename. The file should also be moved together with the file if the file is moved. The name of the text file could be anything really but probably not the same name as the renamed file. I'm completely new to Filebot having come over from using TheRenamer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Create a Separate Text File on File Rename

Post by rednoah »

Presumably, you're talking about the GUI application, so what you're asking for is not supported. If you were to use the CLI (command-line tools) then the --exec option could be used to generate the text files you want.

However, what you really want is to be able to get the original file name in a sensible way, and that is already supported via xattr:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=324

Moreover, you can find out the original path of any previously renamed files using the FileBot History feature, so FileBot does already store the original file name in two different ways, so that you or other programs can easily access that information.

As such, a program that would generate the text files you want, based on the existing xattr information, would be extremely simple to write. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
bulls23ant

Post by bulls23ant »

Thanks for the reply :). I'll check out that other post.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can also use the FileBot GUI to see the Original Name for each file:

Code: Select all

Filter ➔ Attributes
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.