Benefits of donating

Support for Windows users
SandLake

Benefits of donating

Post by SandLake »

I am happily using the 'free' version 4.7.9, I get 2 nags, 1 telling me about a new version and 1 after I have converted files saying that I can donate, I decided to donate, it suggested 10 Euros which I did but I am still getting the donate nag.

What was the point of donating?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Benefits of donating

Post by rednoah »

Are you sure? Just clicking on Donate should make it go away for a long time, unless you've already renamed a staggering amount of files without ever donating. FileBot can't actually check if you have donated or not, and every click will increase the threshold exponentially.

:idea: The point of donating is supporting the project, not necessarily because you get anything that you don't already have. That's the premise of the free version. ;)

Here's how Donation / Review reminders work in newer versions, but the logic should be quite similar with older versions:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4866

Unfortunately, update reminders can't be disabled in older versions of FileBot. That would require an update, but the free version has been discontinued, so there are no more updates. Feel free to just click it away.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
SandLake

Post by SandLake »

Your link takes me to a page about reviews, I don't think I have ever been asked for a review.

I have renamed 440 files - is that too many?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, you just need to replace the word Review with the word Donation in your mind, and then it should apply to you. The logic of when reminders are shown to users is exactly the same.

440 files is not many. May I ask, are you using Windows 10? I was assuming you're a Windows 7 user since you're using the legacy Windows 7 builds. The legacy builds exist for compatibility reasons for Windows 7 / Server users, so everything I told you applies to Windows 7 / Server users only.

If you use the legacy build to avoid paying for FileBot on the Windows Store, then FileBot will annoy you with a donation reminder every single time regardless of the logic explained above. This behaviour stems from a time where the free version and the paid version existed at the same time just to see if that's viable, however, the free version has long since been discontinued for obvious reasons.
SandLake

Post by SandLake »

I think what you are saying is that (as I am using Win10) as opposed to donating I should have bought the Win 10 app - I wish that had been clearer to me.

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, but yes, pretty much. You won't find links to SF.net on the official FileBot website, but I understand that a Google search probably send you to SF.net because most people tend to click on whatever sounds like a Jean Claude Van Damme, instead of the official FileBot page.
Razorman

Post by Razorman »

SandLake wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 12:05 I am happily using the 'free' version 4.7.9, I get 2 nags, 1 telling me about a new version and 1 after I have converted files saying that I can donate, I decided to donate, it suggested 10 Euros which I did but I am still getting the donate nag.

What was the point of donating?
If you want to stop the nagging with regards to updating to a newer version at least, look here: viewtopic.php?t=2112 . Also if you're willing to downgrade to 4.7.7 (which isn't really all that difference to 4.7.9) on SourceForge, you'll no longer get the donate nag either (in conjunction with the disable update modification).

People don't like being begged to open their wallets just because some greedy developer realized they could have made so much money if they weren't so selfless earlier and made their product free.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Razorman wrote: 24 May 2018, 01:30 People don't like being begged to open their wallets just because some greedy developer realized they could have made so much money if they weren't so selfless earlier and made their product free.
In all honesty though, FileBot wouldn't have survived past 2014 / 2015 if it wasn't for the Mac App Store sales. Unfortunately, selling FileBot on the Windows Store wasn't technically possible until Anniversary Update / Creators Update in late 2016 / 2017.

PS: The update / donation nag in older versions is another reason why I can't recommend using those builds nowadays.
J. Scott Elblein

Post by J. Scott Elblein »

lmao ... who tf is this Razorman dude? He thinks writing big apps like this is quick, easy, and of no monetary value. I'd love to find out what he does for work and then bitch at him for being "greedy" by expecting to get money for it. Like it or not, the world revolves around money, and everyone needs it. He's always free to write his own from scratch, and not charge for it.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It's understandable though. Generations of benevolent open-source developers have taught the the less computer-savvy masses that software is free and has no monetary value (i.e. I'm very guilty of this myself). Then mobile games came along and taught them that $1 or less is perfectly normal. And so here we are.

Fortunately, the FileBot value proposition is saving time and energy, and everyone knows that time is money, but there's a lot of good tools made by good independent developers that just wither away because paid software is somehow not socially acceptable anymore, when at the same time software companies make trillions (while paying their developers very respectable salaries in the process). :lol: