Odd behavior politely asking for HALP!!!

Support for Windows users
TAC

Odd behavior politely asking for HALP!!!

Post by TAC »

My Filebot install was hanging & not working.
I followed all of the troubleshooting steps.
Uninstall, reinstall, wiping prefs, wiping cache... uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall...
I finally got Filebot to start again, but the episodes window wouldn't draw, then the subtitles window wouldn't draw.
Working my way through the error log file, I manually created registry keys that were missing & these windows appeared again.

The behavior was very similar to the report here -
viewtopic.php?t=5163

I currently can't save any presets or options, I get the want to watch the videos pop up every start.
The registry keys weren't created by any of the reinstalls.

My request would be a copy of the default preferences.backup.xml & a list of the registry keys the program uses at both locations in the registry.
I most likely did something somewhere that messed it up, so I'm working from the ground up.
(Look I'm not blaming you or complaining!!! Isn't it refreshing?)
Hopefully if I create all of the registry keys, things will be back to normal.

Please & Thank you.
TAC

Sysinfo -

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.8.0 (r5364)
JNA Native: 5.2.0
MediaInfo: 18.03
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2018-03-16 (r516)
Groovy: 2.4.13
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 10
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 8 Core / 7 GB Max Memory / 157 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX
rednoah
The Source

Re: Odd behavior politely asking for HALP!!!

Post by rednoah »

Do you have any screenshots or logs that you could share? Are you talking about rendering issues? Or preferences not being stored? Or both? There's a good chance some kind of rogue anti-virus / firewall / etc is messing with normal operation.

:idea: The Windows Store apps don't use the Registry, or rather, they use a private app specific view of the Registry, which should be completely independent of the rest of your system.

If there is indeed a problem with Registry related syscalls, then you can use the workaround suggested in this thread to store your preferences in a specific file of your choosing:
viewtopic.php?t=5163#p29117
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
TAC

Re: Odd behavior politely asking for HALP!!!

Post by TAC »

No screenshot or logs, I kept removing the log to make it easier to track what was missing.
When I would click on Episodes the titlebar wouldn't change, and the screen was a gray block, the same for subtitles.
When I manually created the registry keys mentioned in the log, the screen drew & worked as expected.
I know its not supposed to work that way, but it got results.

I am unable to save preferences & presets.
I did try an install with the firewall offline (ZoneAlarm Free).
I will check my AV settings. (Avast Free).

As I said I might have broken something somewhere.
The odd behavior got better each time I manually added registry keys via regedit, but nothing was ever saved in the keys.

I used the advanced settings Settings/Apps/Filebot/(Tiny Print) advanced to reinstall and reset the data.

Praise the Lord & Pass the Potato Salad! :shock: :D
I set the FILEBOT_OPTS environment variable
-Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=net.filebot.util.prefs.FilePreferencesFactory -Dnet.filebot.util.prefs.file=C:\FileBot.prefs.properties

I was able to create a quick preset & change a preference and have it stick inbetween restarts!

How to do it...
Powershell
CMD
setx FILEBOT_OPTIONS -Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=net.filebot.util.prefs.FilePreferencesFactory -Dnet.filebot.util.prefs.file=C:\FileBot.prefs.properties

you can also do it with the gui but copy pasta is faster.

Thank you for your assistance, I am sorry I didn't have more screenshots & such.
The problem is gone, the program is working, and I don't want to poke it anymore and break it worse.
Sometimes its just best to accept it is magic & enjoy the results.

TAC