FileBot not working on W10 1803

Support for Windows users
GrahamChile

FileBot not working on W10 1803

Post by GrahamChile »

FileBot no longer works on W10 1803.
Tried Repair; Reset; Uninstall, reboot PC and download and re-install from MS Store (Ver. 4.810)
FileBot opens but does not return any results from either episode search or rename (tried all data sources).

The wheel continues to run and memory use goes up to silly amounts (over 8GB before I close program)
CPU use is also very high at around 30%.

Please help,as I have found this a very useful program in the past
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot not working on W10 1803

Post by rednoah »

Please run filebot -script fn:sysinfo and post the output.

rednoah wrote:Are you using ZoneAlarm or MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner? Software that interferes with Windows internals (especially filesystem / registry access or Direct3D render pipeline) can cause applications to crash.
Are you using ZoneAlarm by any chance?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

Thanks for rapid response
I am not using Zone Alarm, MSI or Riva

Output requested

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.8.1 (r5375)
JNA Native: 5.2.0
MediaInfo: 18.03
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2018-03-16 (r516)
Groovy: 2.4.13
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 10
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 3 GB Max Memory / 34 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX
Done ?(?????)?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Looks good. What happens if you call filebot (without arguments to start the GUI from command-line so you can see error output) from CMD?

filebot
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

Not sure if I have done this right

C:\WINDOWS\system32>filebot
'filebot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If filebot is not in the $PATH by default then your system is not clean (i.e. things just work on a fresh install, but all bets are off if there's lots of programs messing with things).

Make sure that WindowsApps is in the $PATH:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
➔ Search for "Edit environment variables for your account" to find the System Settings where you can fix Environment Variables.
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

I have found the following under User variables for Graham (account which uses Filebot)
Path C:\Users\Graham\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps - clicking Edit shows - %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

Note FileBot is the only app I use from MS store all others apps have been downloaded and installed manually
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store will put a filebot.exe link into %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps and since WindowsApps is in the $PATH, calling filebot will call %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\filebot.exe. That's how CMD and PowerShell work.

It's not possible for you to get "filebot: command not found" when filebot.exe is in the $PATH. Please double check everything and post screenshots. Your system is probably screwed up in some odd way, maybe because of other tools with bad installers.

Let's avoid fixing the underlying problem there, and just call filebot.exe directly and see what happens:

C:\Users\Graham\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\filebot.exe
:idea: DO NOT run CMD or PowerShell as Administrator. It's generally a bad idea to run tools as super user, but in this case %USERPROFILE% is also different. Also, Windows Store apps can't run as super user for security reasons.
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

Thanks
Works fine using CMD C:\Users\Graham - C:\Users\Graham\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\filebot.exe
AND also CMD C:\Users\Graham - filebot (must previously tried CMD as administrator)
Have added CMD to taskbar as a workaround

But same issue still if I open filebot from Windows program list
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That is strange indeed, because it's running the same application. I have no idea why strange things happen if launched via Windows tile. The usual culprit is some security tool that interferes with file system or registry access causing strange behaviors.

Have you tried just letting it run and gobble up memory until it crashes?

Are there any interesting logs?

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

Interestingly it didn't crash, continued running for around an hour and then worked. It then renamed subsequent files in a few seconds. On rebooting the PC was back to the same problem.

I then tried with a small file to see if it was just putting the whole file in memory, but no it ran until 97% memory utilisation was reached when it apparently dumped RAM onto the C drive. It repeated this 3 times until after 45 minutes it worked - again subsequent files were renamed in a few seconds.

Filebot error log file was empty
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The only thing that sounds similar, but not quite the same, is this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5930

Please try the setx FILEBOT_OPTS solution in this thread just to see if it makes a difference in your case. If it works, then that'd indicate that some tool is interfering with the Windows Registry.
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

Unfortunately it did not work (setx FILEBOT_OPTS "-Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=net.filebot.util.prefs.FilePreferencesFactory -Dnet.filebot.util.prefs.file=C:/filebot.prefs" - saved value using User & admin CMD)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks for checking. I'm out of ideas now though. The only way to figure out why it's not working is to set up a second machine, make sure it works on a fresh install, and then start installing all other other tools or drivers you use until we find the one that breaks things.
GrahamChile

Post by GrahamChile »

Many thanks for your assistance, I have completed ripping my collection so its is only any new discs that I buy need FileBot and can use the CMD work around.

I will advise you if any future updates of W10 resolve the problem, or if I do a clean install in the future.

regards
Graham
petersh

Post by petersh »

I've used Filebot on my Windows 7 computer
However, now I have to upgrade my computer to Win 10 because of the requirement for my work.
Then, how can I do that? Is there any issue with my old stuff on my computer?
Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot is supported on Windows 10 perfectly fine. You will not run into rare issues such as the one reported in the OP if you're running a fairly clean and fresh Windows 10 machine.