Permissions error for filebot.launcher.exe

Support for Windows users
VorlonCD

Permissions error for filebot.launcher.exe

Post by VorlonCD »

Purchased the Windows store app last year. Been a great app but now dealing with these silly Win10 UWP app issues. Up front, my preference is to get a "test license for the non-Store edition of FileBot", but I would LOVE to know how this got broke on my box...

This is nearly identical to recent thread by Kippies titled "Kernel32.GetCurrentPackageFullName (15700)".

When starting from:
  • Start > Apps
  • %localappdata%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\PointPlanck.FileBot_49ex9gnthnt12\filebot.exe (Obviously had to take ownership of the folder first)
I get this error:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.

If I start the product directly (from filebot.exe or filebot.launcher.exe):
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PointPlanck.FileBot_4.8.4.0_x64__49ex9gnthnt12\filebot.exe

It starts fine, I can edit configurations but when I go to rename files I get this error:

Which I understand is due to UWP app licensing - It must be started correctly as a true UWP app, not win32.

Command prompt just gives "Access is denied." when run FILEBOT.

My Box: Windows 10 1803, out of the box antivirus.

What I have tried:
  • Another user on the same machine works - I would very much like to avoid having to re-configure all my settings of course
  • Uninstalled via installed apps, then reinstalled. Before the uninstall I used the REPAIR and RESET options for the app. I also went as far as using VoidTools Everything search to find all left over drive traces of FILEBOT and removing them before reinstalling. Same for Registry entries
  • Took ownership of the filebot Program Files folder and added EVERYONE to full permissions.
  • Reset windows store in every way I could find on MS site. (My other apps run ok)
  • Windows store diagnostics app said my Internet Explorer history folder was in a non standard location so I let it reset back to C: drive. This did not help, so I went on to clear all IE related history/temp files with both IE options and CCleaner
  • When I run PROCMON there IS still a single ACCESS DENIED error by SVCHOST.EXE for this folder: %localappdata\Microsoft\Windows\History\Low\History.IE5, so I suppose that could still be related. When I deleted that folder (after taking ownership) filebot gave a DIFFERENT error during start that I didnt capture (something like could not find file or once it may have been invalid parameter), but as soon as I ran IE again to have it recreate the folder, the old error came back. (And ACCESS DENIED still shows up in PROCMON, but I cant imagine IE would fail to re-create the folder incorrectly) Perhaps the error happens for everyone?
  • My cat had a good idea, but after I fed him it still gave the same error.
Thoughts?

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Permissions error for filebot.launcher.exe

Post by rednoah »

Presumably, neither of us, nor your cat, wants to deal with Windows Store troubleshooting, so if you want I can just send a complimentary universal license for the normal Win32 installer to avoid the store altogether. Please PM me your name / email / MS Store purchase confirmation.

Doing a full factory reset is generally the only reliable way to fix Windows Store issues. There's a few things you could try though, and Google is your friend here. Like logging in and out of the Store, trying the Windows repair options, etc. None of that is guaranteed to make a difference, and might just make things worse.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
tyroden

Post by tyroden »

I seem to be having the same issue. Filebot manually runs and I can trigger a rename, the filebot.launcher.exe when directly clicked pops up with the same permissions error as above however. I too bought this through the MS Store, with a fresh Windows 10 install (built this as a fresh VM just for running Filebot). As your note above I will send along my receipt.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Windows Store applications can only be be launched via the appropriate FileBot Start Menu Tile or the filebot command via PowerShell.

:!: Windows Store applications cannot be launched by clicking on any of the internal application files (which are inaccessible by default) such as *.exe files.

:!: Changing permissions or modifying files in the hidden write-protected system folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps will likely break things in unexpected way. Don't do it. ;)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

tyroden wrote:13 Jul 2019, 11:56 When in uTorrent, it does not ever run the file like it used to on my pre-MS Store version, as an example, here is the auto run executable definition used in uTorrent, and the response I get when manually running it at the prompt:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.615]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\tyrod>"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PointPlanck.FileBot_4.8.5.0_x64__49ex9gnthnt12\filebot.launcher.exe" -script fn:amc --output "D:/FinishedDownloads" --log-file amc.log --action copy --conflict override -non-strict --def "ut_dir=%D" "ut_file=%F" "ut_kind=%K" "ut_title=%N" "ut_label=%L" "ut_state=%S" "seriesFormat=D:/TVShows/{n}/{n+' - Season '+s}/{n} - {s00e00}" "movieFormat=D:/Movies/{n} ({y})" subtitles=en
Access is denied.

C:\Users\tyrod>
This doesn't work because Windows Store applications cannot be launched by accessing internal application files (which are inaccessible by default) such as *.exe files directly.

YES:

Code: Select all

filebot -version
:idea: Because Windows Store commands are always in the %PATH% by default.

NO:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PointPlanck.FileBot_4.8.5.0_x64__49ex9gnthnt12\filebot.launcher.exe -version
:idea: Because Windows Store applications cannot be launched by accessing internal application files (which are inaccessible by default) such as *.exe files directly.

Type where filebot if you really really need to know the absolute path to the Windows Store filebot executable:

where filebot