After the last MS store update, some of my presets are gone

Support for Windows users
Morgenstern72
Donor

After the last MS store update, some of my presets are gone

Post by Morgenstern72 »

I just got an updated version of file bot from the MS store. Only my 4 presets for movies are still there, my presets for TV shows are gone.
How can I recover them?
rednoah
The Source

Re: After the last MS store update, some of my presets are gone

Post by rednoah »

Why would they be gone? If something were to go horribly wrong during an update (it won't) you'll loose all presets, not some. That part is very strange.

:?: What exactly is the situation? Did you upgrade from an old non-Store version to the Windows Store version? Or completely uninstall and then reinstall the Windows Store version?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Morgenstern72
Donor

Post by Morgenstern72 »

It was a store version and I did just start it. Why the presets are gone I don't know but I use file it at least once a week and the are just gone right after the last update.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot hasn't been updated recently though. Last update was half a year ago, so the Windows Store would have auto-updated you months ago.

Please use the Groovy Pad and run runScript 'sysinfo' (press F5 and then press F5 again) to confirm what version / edition of FileBot you're currently using:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1868

Not sure if this is helpful if settings are already lost, but FileBot will export your settings to a file called preferences.backup.xml each and every time FileBot is closed, in the FileBot app data folder. So you might find something there, or maybe you have a backup of this folder somewhere in your backups.

Windows Store Edition app data folder:

Code: Select all

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot
Classic Edition app data folder:

%APPDATA%\FileBot
Morgenstern72
Donor

Post by Morgenstern72 »

1. When FileBot started today, it did hang (grayed out, unresposive). Then it restarted. I thought that was an update. In the file properties I see 16.8.2018 so most probably it was not an update.

FileBot 4.8.4 (r5829)
JNA Native: 5.2.2
MediaInfo: 18.05
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.2
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2019-02-02 (r543)
Groovy: 2.5.1
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 10.0.2
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 6 GB Max Memory / 71 MB Used Memory
Package: APPX
License: Microsoft Store License
I have a backup, but exact the necessary subfolder is missing. Left backup, right system:
https://imgur.com/nzsqK5d
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The settings are stored in the registry, so I could imagine a Windows bug crashing things on access, leading to data loss, but I don't think anybody has ever reported anything similar.

Yep, definitely running the Windows Store edition.

Please check if any of these folders contains a preferences.backup.xml file. Especially in your older backup. The exact folder structure may have changed in older / new versions of Windows.