Advanced MKV Meta Data Writing

Support for Windows users
ByteShare

Advanced MKV Meta Data Writing

Post by ByteShare »

I believe with FileBot 4.7.2 and up we can edit MKV Meta Data such as the MKVTitle.

I was wondering is there a way to do this from the GUI with my presets to make the original filename be added to the MKV Title so I can keep track of old filenames in case I made a mistake renaming?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Advanced MKV Meta Data Writing

Post by rednoah »

FileBot does not modify files, and thus can't modify mkv properties which are embedded in the file content.

FileBot does store the original filename as xattr (i.e. filesystem metadata) alongside the file:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=324

Additionally, FileBot also keeps a history Image of all previously processed files, so if you want to revert files to their original names, then the history / revert feature is by far the easiest way to do it.

If you do what to store the original filename (e.g. as stored by filebot into xattr) inside the mkv content as well, then you can use filebot and mkvpropedit command-line tools in combination to automate that task. That'll require basic command-line skills though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ByteShare

Post by ByteShare »

rednoah wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 04:36 1.
FileBot does not modify files, and thus can't modify mkv properties which are embedded in the file content.
Oh, I thought it could use MKVpropedit, which would only help with MKVs but most of my content is MKV.
FileBot does store the original filename as xattr (i.e. filesystem metadata) alongside the file:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=324
Oh, that would be great but since I use both Windows and Linux on some of my drives won't apply in my situation generally but I might as well use it when I'm on Windows.
Can I just add: [xattr:net.filebot.filename] at the start of my script: {[xattr:net.filebot.filename]} ...ect...{....
Isn't erroring out, but I don't see the info in Properties > Details
Additionally, FileBot also keeps a history Image of all previously processed files, so if you want to revert files to their original names, then the history / revert feature is by far the easiest way to do it.
I knew about this but wouldn't help/apply in my situation.
If you do what to store the original filename (e.g. as stored by filebot into xattr) inside the mkv content as well, then you can use filebot and mkvpropedit command-line tools in combination to automate that task. That'll require basic command-line skills though.
I have a batch file that I run before I put the files in FileBot that copies the filename into the MKV Title with MKVPropEdit. I'll keep using that for now...just like to have less manual steps or accidental re-runs of the batch file.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

2a.
If you want to access the original name xattr value in your FileBot format, then you can use the {original} binding.

2b.
You can configure FileBot to store xattr metadata in a plain file/folder structure instead of filesystem metadata:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=.xattr
:idea: This one was added with the latest revision: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9535
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ByteShare

Post by ByteShare »

Oh, that is really neat {Original}
I'll use that for now as another layer of redundancy.
Thank you.