Docker Permission/User Issues with Newest Update

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
Rembold04

Docker Permission/User Issues with Newest Update

Post by Rembold04 »

The newest Docker update appears to have introduced some kind of user and/or permissions issues.
I have been using the same docker container script for a long time now without issue across several versions. The exception was the last support issue I posted where you made a copy/paste error in the release.

If I set the PUID/PGID to a valid user on my host with r/w access (the same that several other containers use without issue) then I get some different error messages:

With both configs, the container stops unexpectedly.

Environment Variables:

The PUSER/PGROUP variables appear to be undocumented.
Note: settle_down_time is set extremely low for testing that I was doing.

I also noticed a possible change to the Execution Command: /opt/bin/run-as-user which may or may not have been in the last version.
I also tried setting the PUID/PGID to some random values and received various permissions issues. Received a licensing issue after changing some file permissions within the container.
Rembold04

Re: Docker Permission/User Issues with Newest Update

Post by Rembold04 »

Got this working with some config changes until rednoah can fix the issue or update the documentation:

PUID/PGID are for my normal Docker container user with r/w permissions.
PUSER=root and PGROUP=users gets rid of the permissions errors.

Filebot now creates a folder with the name of your PUSER in /config and puts all of its normal files there.
docker/Configs/FilebotKeep is mounted to /config in my container

You will need to move your license file (license.txt) to /config/root or reactivate the license using:

Code: Select all

filebot --license <license_file.psm>
Filebot is now using about 1.5GB of RAM though.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Setting the numeric PUID and PGID should do the trick.

:arrow: How to do I run the process inside the container as a different user? has been added to the docs.

:idea: PUSER=root and PGROUP=users environment variables are probably not necessary, because creating a user named root that is not UID=0 (inside the container) might cause unexpected behaviour, as does creating a group named users, because such a group will already exist (inside the container) by default. As result, I don't even know if filebot is now running as UID=0 or UID=1024 (inside the container) which is probably something we want to know one way or another. Creating user UID=1024 probably fails, and thus filebot runs (just like before the recent update) as UID=0:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-dock ... un-as-user
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Rembold04

Post by Rembold04 »

Running this now as PUID=0 and PGID=100 without issue.
Docker on Synology was creating the PUSER and PGROUP variables automatically and I think that was causing the permission issues. Now that you changed something in the image, they are no longer creating an issue with the default values of "filebot".

Thanks for the update.