Unusable GUI

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
jaceg88

Unusable GUI

Post by jaceg88 »

I'm having this issue every time I open filebot. I don't even know how to describe it, so I'll let the screenshots do that. The only way I can get it to go away is by rebooting.

https://imgur.com/a/EGrNJlG

rednoah
The Source

Re: Unusable GUI

Post by rednoah »

You seem to be using FileBot in a very unique environment.

:?: Are you using FileBot on a remote Linux machine via VNC or similar protocol?

:?: Why not use the macOS version of FileBot on your macOS Desktop?

:?: How did you install FileBot? Which package did you use? What does filebot -script fn:sysinfo say?

:?: You can try to enable / disable the OpenGL render pipeline or install different graphics drivers, or generally try graphics related or VNC protocol settings and see if it makes a difference.

Code: Select all

-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True

-Dsun.java2d.xrender=True

:arrow: Please report the issue in the XQuartz community as well. They might be able to give you better debugging advice.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jaceg88

Post by jaceg88 »

Great questions!
:?: Are you using FileBot on a remote Linux machine via VNC or similar protocol?
Yes, I am using it on a remote Linux ( https://imgur.com/a/a9NLkmD ) machine using x2go (and sometimes SSH) to connect to it.

:?: Why not use the macOS version of FileBot on your macOS Desktop?
Unless I can use it to edit files remotely then I think I must use it on the Linux server with all my files. It is a seedbox with 40tb of storage, and over 10tb of files I need Filebot for.
:?: How did you install FileBot? Which package did you use? What does filebot -script fn:sysinfo say?
I want to note that I do have a registration key, I just reinstalled Filebot the other day while troubleshooting and did not bother put it back in for what I believe may be obvious reasons right now.

https://imgur.com/a/e2SOnRE

or

Initialize AppData folder: /root/.filebot
Initialize Cache folder: /root/.filebot/cache
Initialize Logs folder: /root/.filebot/logs
Initialize TemporaryFiles folder: /root/.filebot/tmp
Initialize new disk cache: /root/.filebot/cache/0
Oct 23, 2022 7:40:56 PM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1 run
INFO: Created user preferences directory.
FileBot 4.9.6 (r9125)
JNA Native: 5.2.2
MediaInfo: 18.12
Tools: fpcalc/1.4.3 7z/16.02 unrar/5.50
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2022-08-15 (r836)
Groovy: 3.0.9
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 11.0.16
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 8 Core / 8 GB Max Memory / 62 MB Used Memory
HW: Linux Debian-105-buster-64-minimal 4.19.0-22-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.260-1 (2022-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux
CPU/MEM: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz [MemTotal: 33 GB | MemFree: 20 GB | MemAvailable: 29 GB | SwapTotal: 68 GB | SwapFree: 68 GB]
STORAGE: ext4 [/] @ 5 TB
USER: root
DATA: /root/.filebot
Package: DEB
License: UNREGISTERED
Done ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
alexandria@Debian-105-buster-64-minimal:~$ 
:?: You can try to enable / disable the OpenGL render pipeline or install different graphics drivers, or generally try graphics related or VNC protocol settings and see if it makes a difference.
This is beyond my skill level to comprehend on my own at this time.
:arrow: Please report the issue in the XQuartz community as well. They might be able to give you better debugging advice.
I'll do that immediatly. Thanks for the tip!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can run these commands to turn graphics acceleration on or off:

filebot -script fn:properties --def sun.java2d.opengl=True

filebot -script fn:properties --def sun.java2d.opengl=False
:arrow: Run one of these commands first to set the settings, then run filebot (without arguments) to launch the GUI to see if it makes a difference.

:idea: As a possible work around, you could use VNC instead of x2go, or vice versa, if one or the other doesn't work.

:idea: As a possible work around, you could mount your remote file system onto your local machine. SSHFS should work well if you already have SSH access. Tools like Mountain Duck should make this relatively easy.
jaceg88

Post by jaceg88 »

rednoah wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 18:16 You can run these commands to turn graphics acceleration on or off:

filebot -script fn:properties --def sun.java2d.opengl=True
Woah! This worked!! Thank you!

filebot -script fn:properties --def sun.java2d.opengl=False
:arrow: Run one of these commands first to set the settings, then run filebot (without arguments) to launch the GUI to see if it makes a difference.

:idea: As a possible work around, you could use VNC instead of x2go, or vice versa, if one or the other doesn't work.

:idea: As a possible work around, you could mount your remote file system onto your local machine. SSHFS should work well if you already have SSH access. Tools like Mountain Duck should make this relatively easy.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

So sun.java2d.opengl=True made it work? I guess whatever render pipeline was enabled by default just didn't play well with your X remote desktop. Weird issue. Happy to know there's an easy workaround.
jaceg88

Post by jaceg88 »

rednoah wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 19:02 So sun.java2d.opengl=True made it work? I guess whatever render pipeline was enabled by default just didn't play well with your X remote desktop. Weird issue. Happy to know there's an easy workaround.
It's still a little janky and I need to maximize the windows or switch from maximization to get it back to normal usable state.

But it's usable
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can try these settings as well:

filebot -script fn:properties --def sun.java2d.xrender=True

filebot -script fn:properties --def sun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false
:idea: See System Properties for Java 2D Technology for details.

:idea: You can do filebot -clear-prefs to reset all custom properties.
jaceg88

Post by jaceg88 »

unfortunately those don't really improve things