The environment variable 'HOME' must be set Problem in Ubunt

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
Slomo

The environment variable 'HOME' must be set Problem in Ubunt

Post by Slomo »

Hi

i recently reinstalled my ubuntu server (14.04), and wanted to use filebot the same way i did before.
I use pyload which starts a script after each download and package extraction.

the script looks like this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

filebot -script fn:amc "/media/tobi/HDD7/Downloads/Finished" --output "/media/tobi/HDD7/" -non-strict --def artwork=n clean=y subtitles=en,de "seriesFormat=Series/{n}/{n} Season 0{s}/{n} {s00e00} - {t}" --conflict override  --log-file "/media/tobi/HDD7/filebot.log" >/media/tobi/HDD7/filebot_script.log
The last part i included for debugging, because if i run the script manually everything works just fine, but not if started by pyload (i hope this is the right forum for this, maybe pyload forum would be better?). In the file(filebot_script.log) , i redirect the output to, i get the line "The environment variable 'HOME' must be set" when the script is run.
I tried setting the environment variable as described on this page, but still no change.

i installed oracle java from this ppa. i've tried it with java 8 and 9 with same results.

Any ideas what i've forgotten or done wrong?
rednoah
The Source

Re: The environment variable 'HOME' must be set Problem in U

Post by rednoah »

Tip 1: Setting $JAVA_HOME won't fix $HOME not being set. That's two completely different things.

Tip 2: Learn the most basic bash skills. That includes knowing what $HOME means, and what export does.

e.g.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export HOME=/media/tobi # ASSUMING /media/tobi IS YOUR USER HOME
filebot ...
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Slomo

Re: The environment variable 'HOME' must be set Problem in U

Post by Slomo »

Oh now i feel like an idiot, is just assumed, becaus its a java programm, that the $JAVA_HOME must be meant. Now everything works.

Thank you very much for your fast support