java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
iLaurens

Post by iLaurens »

Hi all,

Ever since I updated my Ubuntu distribution I have attempted to reinstall my automated workflow. In this workflow, deluge calls a script which in turn calls Filebot.

Unfortunately since the update with the software distribution using Snap, my scripts are running into permission errors. I suspect this is because my deluge instance is run from a specific user. I can call Filebot from my main user and in a root shell, however calling filebot from the deluge user instantly gives me a "cannot create directory '/run/user/xxxx': Permission denied". I have tried reinstalling filebot under the deluge user, but then I have to install using sudo in which case I end up in the same situation with the same permission errors. I have also tried installing using devmode, but this again changes nothing.

I was wondering how I could call filebot from a different user, without explicitly calling sudo from my automated scripts?

A copy of the full error log after deluge tries to call filebot:

Code: Select all

mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/1001': Permission denied
Locking /home/vpnuser/snap/filebot/9/data/logs/amc.log

(process:6991): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/1001/snap.filebot/dconf': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.

(process:6991): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/1001/snap.filebot/dconf': Permission denied.  dconf will not work properly.

Fetch failed: Try again in 5 seconds (2 more) => java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net
Fetch failed: Try again in 10 seconds (1 more) => java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net
Fetch failed: https://app.filebot.net/scripts/m1.jar.xz
        at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:143)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$fetchIfModified$9(CachedResource.java:215)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$null$0(CachedResource.java:87)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.retry(CachedResource.java:121)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.retry(CachedResource.java:133)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$get$1(CachedResource.java:87)
        at net.filebot.Cache.computeIf(Cache.java:90)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.get(CachedResource.java:82)
        at net.filebot.MemoizedResource.get(Resource.java:36)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptBundle.getScript(ScriptBundle.java:32)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.runScript(ArgumentProcessor.java:119)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.run(ArgumentProcessor.java:29)
        at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:115)
Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net
        at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:140)
        ... 14 more

app.filebot.net
        at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:143)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$fetchIfModified$9(CachedResource.java:215)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$null$0(CachedResource.java:87)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.retry(CachedResource.java:121)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.lambda$get$1(CachedResource.java:87)
        at net.filebot.Cache.computeIf(Cache.java:90)
        at net.filebot.CachedResource.get(CachedResource.java:82)
        at net.filebot.MemoizedResource.get(Resource.java:36)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptBundle.getScript(ScriptBundle.java:32)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.runScript(ArgumentProcessor.java:119)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.run(ArgumentProcessor.java:29)
        at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:115)
Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net
        at net.filebot.web.WebRequest.fetch(WebRequest.java:140)
        ... 14 more

Failure (°_°)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot fails because of permissions

Post by rednoah »

FileBot for Linux is unsupported, but I can tell you right away that java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net is just a DNS issue unrelated to FileBot itself. DNS issues are generic network issues, so Google will provide lots of good advice and things you could try.

If you're using FileBot on Linux, then you may want to support the project via this Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/filebot
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
iLaurens

Re: java.net.UnknownHostException: app.filebot.net

Post by iLaurens »

Thanks for your response! I found the old installation of Filebot so I got that working without Snap now. However, if I can simply avoid Snap in the future by becoming a patreon, then I happily chip in some money. I just registered to the Patreon, thanks for the heads up.