FB rejecting files with special characters only on GoCrypFs drive

Support for macOS users
mathissimo

FB rejecting files with special characters only on GoCrypFs drive

Post by mathissimo »

My FB works fine, except for when a file with special characters (eg 'ä', '!') is dragged from my fuse-mounted GoCryptFs drive.

The same file is accepted, when dragged from my internal drive.

My questions:
  • How do I get more information on the format-problem I have with GoCrypFs /osxfuse?
  • Can I get any logging from FB (App Store Version) ?
Background
  • macos: 10.15.3 (Catalina)
  • fb: Version 4.8.5 (6224) from Apple App Store
  • osxfuse: 3.10.4
Any other hints, suggestions or workarounds are appreciated!!
rednoah
The Source

Re: FB rejecting files with special characters only on GoCrypFs drive

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, but FileBot conceptually doesn't know about underlying file systems. It's the underlying file system drivers responsibility to make everything behave correctly.

:arrow: Best to ask the GoCrypFs / osxfuse community for advice.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
mathissimo

Post by mathissimo »

Hi Rednoah,
tnx for the quick response. I'am also assuming that I have to get in touch with the GoCryptFs people. However, I thought I should have more information first. Otherwise, they'll tell me to speak first to the FB community.

What gets me here is that I don't have these problems in shell or finder. They work fine.

I also found out that FB accepts the GoCryptFs file if I soft-link it into my local drive. However the move command in FB only removes the link and creates an empty destination folder.

There should be some errors happening in FB that impede the complete operation. And that's what I am looking for to go to the GCF people..

Any suggestions?

Tnx in advance!
m.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You could check the error.log (see FAQ) file. Not sure if it'll say anything though. Especially if you can "successfully" perform move operations, where "successfully" means FileBot doesn't show an error because FileBot thinks everything is OK because that's the status FileBot gets back from the OS.

:idea: Note that Finder is special. Finder can do things that other applications can't do. Especially when app sandboxing is involved too. Testing with other tools (not made by Apple) from inside / outside the Mac App Store and see how they fare.

:idea: My best guess is that the issue is within macOS, because of some behavior in GoCrypFs drive is just slightly different from the other more common well-tested file default system implementations. At the very least, I doubt that it's something that can be fixed within the FileBot code base.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.